Just Need Someone to Listen

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frankie, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Frankie
      Depressed

Frankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't really know how to begin this, so I'll start with the basics. I'm 22 years old. And whether it matters or not, I'm not particularly skinny. But I'm not overweight either. A bit curvy, perhaps. Just over a year ago, I began hearing what sounded like my pulse in my right ear. It wasn't extreme or anything, but it was definitely there. It would be like that for a few days and eventually it would just go away. Even when I did have these few days of pulsatile tinnitus, it wasn't constant. And when it was over, it would be months before I heard it again. Because of that, I didn't really worry too much. Initially, there was no pain associated with the noise. But recently, it seems that I get subtle headache on the right side of my head during the... "episodes" of the pulsatile tinnitus. And sometimes even when I'm not having an episode. I had terrible anxiety before all of this which hs recently gotten even worse, so I don't know if the headaches are really associated with the tinnitus or not.

Now for a little medical history

Shortly before I started experiencing PT, I went to the doctor because there was a lump in the lower part of my neck on the right side. I had to go to about 10 different doctors before one finally scheduled me for an ultrasound. Sure enough, I got a call not even 24 hours later. They saw the lump. In fact, they saw a few. But the largest one (and it was, indeed, quite large) was on the bottom right side. The word "cancer" was promptly thrown around and I was sent for a plethora of tests. Blood tests, biopsies, tests where I had to drink iodine, etc. The lump, thankfully, was benign. The doctor had a special term for it. And as it was so long ago, I can't remember what it was. While the lump was benign, it was causing my thyroid problems, prompting it to be more overactive than it would be if I were without it. And because my thyroid /is/ overactive, my body produces too much adrenaline. In turn, making my heart beat faster than it should. So in an effort to combat it, I was put on propranolol and given a pill of radioactive iodine that I had to swallow in hopes that it might kill that lump in my throat. The dose given to me was very minuscule because I didn't have cancer.

My mind is jumping to the worst conclusions. I find myself getting depressed, worrying that perhaps the radiation in the pill gave me a brain tumour or something. Or that I had cancer to begin with and they just didn't detect it. I'm convinced I'm going to die. Which is dramatic, I know, but my anxiety about this is taking a toll on me. I'm going to go to the doctor in the next week. I'm just worried they won't listen.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You had nodules in your thyroid and because of their larger than normal size, at least one of them had to be examined.
      You obviously have hyperthyroidism. Your thyroid is producing too much thyroid hormone which increases your metabolism and your doctor saw fit to give you some blood pressure meds.
      I don't think that the blood pressure meds will be a lifetime deal but you'll keep at them until your thyroid is functioning normally (which happens with thyroid replacement therapy).

Welcome to the club of about 200 million people worldwide with thyroid issues. You'll be fine.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frankie
      Depressed

Frankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do have hyperthyroidism, yes. I forgot to mention that. The only reason I brought up the medical history with my thyroid is because I was curious as to whether or not the two were intertwined. Meaning the problems with my thyroid as well as the pulsatile tinnitus and head pain.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frankie
      Depressed

Frankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any other advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

5. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hey @Frankie welcome!

I had hyperthyroidism. I took the iodine. I didn't get any brain tumor. The doctors will readjust your tsh level.
      I think you'll be fine. Have some fun, glass of wine?

Back to the Tinnitus link. I have read it. Say it isn't so, (I can't say that).

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Frankie

I have pulsatile tinnitus and hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), and I do think it's possible there's a connection between the two conditions. I too had a nodule on my thyroid gland many years ago. Back then, they said I had to have actual surgery, which I did, and the biopsy proved to be negative. Now, I'm taking thyroid medicine, and my thyroid function is under control. I still have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, but no other cause has been found.

Since there are so many of us who have both tinnitus and a thyroid condition, I believe there is a connection.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frankie
      Depressed

Frankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you everyone for your input. You all have no idea how joining this forum has calmed my nerves. While it's unfortunate that we're all here because we're dealing with tinnitus, I'm glad I'm not alone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1