Karaoke Two Weeks Ago Caused a Tinnitus Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gerbit, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hello everyone!

Two weeks ago I went to a karaoke night and used earplugs. It really wasn’t all that loud except for a few of the bass noises.

However, since then, I have gotten a spike in tinnitus (before this I had been habituated fully for a year and a half!)

I’ve started taking NAC and curcumin this week, and haven’t noticed any positive changes in my tinnitus yet. It’s causing me a good bit of anxiety.

Any ideas of how long it will take the spike to subside? I know it will subside, because it has before for me, but any estimations based on all of your experiences with tinnitus spikes?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You do realize there's no guarantees it will subside.

Before spikes might have subsided but this one might NOT. A spike CAN become permanent even if you've always had temporary spikes before.

Now you need to pray and maybe get some prednisone?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Any suggestions of things to do to help it calm down?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is too late to take Prednisone (and Prednisone isn't that effective even when taken early enough for it to work). All you can do is wait for it to fade. There is still a reasonable chance that it will end up fading in 2-3 months...

I hope that you won't be willingly exposing yourself to the kind of noise that got you this spike anymore, and won't have a false sense of security as a result of wearing earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most spikes that subside, subside in about 3 months. But if one keeps giving spikes to oneself, eventually the spikes might stop subsiding.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You KNEW you that what you were doing had the benefit of a couple of hours of fun and a potential cost of you being tortured for the rest of your life. Surely if you thought that you couldn't handle "the time," you wouldn't have "done the crime."

Look at the bright side - in the worst case scenario you will end up with a constant reminder that taking those risks is not ok. Such a reminder will likely ensure that you won't do even more damage and won't end up with even louder tinnitus to have to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Another thing You may want to consider is perhaps your stress level has been higher lately and or maybe you haven’t been getting enough sleep. If you really think it wasn’t that loud and you wore earplugs then perhaps it’s not spiking due to that event... Just a thought.

I know for myself for instance, when I’m stressed and have had less sleep, my T seems higher. But funny enough I don’t think it is because my masker, that I play occasionally, is at the same volume and not any higher.