KV7 Channels, the Use of Anti-Epileptic Drugs in Anxiety, Mentioning Retigabine

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Codaz, May 8, 2015.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

My T is lowering by the month, because I receive a lot of TMJ treatment by a specialized physiotherapist. This is a good thing. I really like it, my life slowly becomes back to normal.

But my anxiety comes back. The strange thing is I can feel the anxiety in my head. The right side of my head where the most facial muscle pain comes from is the most tense and there I feel a lot of fireworks inside my head going on. It's like the anxiety is coming from there.

As some of you may know, anxiety is a beast. Sweaty hands, sore mouth, and the feeling that it may go wrong is there. I want to kill the anxiety, and off course my T. As I have read some stories here on tinnitustalk about people taking anti anxiety drugs I have looked in the recent scientific papers on anxiety and kv7 channels. My dental surgeon suggested anti epileptic drugs and from the reading I have been doing it might be the way to go further (aside from the TMJ physiotherapy).

For now, I have collected some research material on how anxiety works at a neuronal level and I saw retigabine is mentioned there as well.

To those who may interest it I have added the research material I found.

If any of you has some info on reducing anxiety (aside from CBT) please give notice. Sorry to say but I will not take any of the -pam pharmacological treatments. They just don't help enough, plus I do not want to have weird side effects or an increase of T again. For now it's 60% gone and I would like to keep it that way.

Screenshots come from the book on Google Books:
      Mechanisms of Action of Antiepileptic Drugs
      H. Steve White,Jong M. Rho

https://books.google.nl/books?id=nT...X4oDwDw&ved=0CF0Q6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection

I have noticed when you take trobalt it makes you feel really happy and very drunk...Don't know if that's good as it's habit forming.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I lose anxiety when I`m on Trobalt ... it makes me care less about the things I usually worry about. This blanket of fear that covers the body and mind just drops away ...

• Like Like x 1
    4. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Anxiety and tinnitus are 2 very different things. One should be careful because many doctors make the arbitrary and totally not based diagnosis that anxiety causes us to have tinnitus.
      Latest posts seem to center around psychology. Tinnitus is established as a pathological condition that starts from the ears and perhaps goes into brain (not proven though).
      It would be a shame if these posts give justification to those who wait in the corner to nail us as people with mental disorders, thus tinnitus is a phantom perhaps existent only in our imagination.

Antidepressants seem to have no effect in T, but they still keep treating us as this is what we need. They criticize the
      Gaby Olthuis case https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-story-of-gaby-olthuis.4381/
      as wrongly handled because there could be something done about her but didn't.
      If they have something in mind they should tell us. If what they had in mind is to send her in a mind institute as a nut case, (logically that is what they mean) they should never again have such thoughts. Maybe tinnitus should come onto them so they can understand!

Tinnitus is not imaginary, it is a real condition. Which needs real solution that addresses the problem, not trying unsuccessfully in most cases to address the symptoms. People always try to make profit without offering real solutions. Be ware...

• Agree Agree x 7
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

Maybe, but why are anxiety and tinnitus in the papers related to the kv7 channels then?

6. crucial
      Balanced

crucial Member

I find hitting my head with a brick takes my mind off T

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      They are 2 different things but they might have a similar problem source ... just as being out of breath and chest pains and being tired all originate from a weak heart.

Feeling happy is rooted in the brains serotonin house keeping. If opening Kv channels moves the serotonin around in the brain and at the same time resolves the timing frequency of these neurons it does create a link between anxiety and Tinnitus.

it`s all brain chemistry ...

I am formly against the use of ssri`s and such ... because they do more damage than good ... but I did read that it brings down peoples T ... probably because the neurons are pushed to open their gates and create different communication and break free from their established patters --- so dissolving the problem of frequency-timing.

Biggest problem will be how can we get these back to neutral without needing to help them constantly ... what made them choose an unnatural state over a natural one ... if we find the answer to this question ... that would brings us closer to the cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I thought the reason the neurons are in this ''unnatural'' state is because they are no longer receiving their normal input. Neurons that are not being stimulated are essentially useless. The last thing the body wants is to lose its specialized cells that cannot be replaced so in my opinion, this is the body's way to preserve these cells.

To return to their natural state would mean to return to their innervation status pre-tinnitus, but we can't do that just yet in 2015.

9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      There seems to be some controversy about what exactly causes or evokes the Tinnitus signal and where the origin of the `phantom` sound comes from. I read an aticle that demistifies that idea that these neurons or cells are creating a sound to make up for the loss of input ... god knows how it really works.. beats my capability of reasoning at this point. Altering Kv channels does bring silence or a diminishing in tinnitus. I`m experiencing it just now as we speak on trobalt. Only temporarily though ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I see what you mean. I'm still not sure about the inner ear vs brain source... Altough these days I'm leaning towards the brain with all these reports on brain meds showing some effect.

This combined with the not so stellar results shown by AM-101.

11. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It is 100 percent brain where T sound comes from, ear is 1 step back in the process and how it happens can be many reasons but the question is WHY and HOW is this sound coming alive in the brain .. why do these neurons start acting like this? What is the mechanism that caused them to do it? is it like they got a boost, and were put on neuron `fire` and there wasn`t enough neuron water to quiet them down ... or because they were so stimulated and skipped a rythm or beat ... like a heart can skipp a beat and therefor they are out of synch ... so maybe that is why people that get a stroke sometimes lose tinnitus because all the neurons were fired in that instance and they all returned back into the same gallop so to say... or is it the `making up for loss of input` afterall ... ?? ... I had a dream once where they put this thing on my head an zapped my brain ... they still use it for depression ... although it only seems to work temporarily but it helps people ... maybe someone should try this type of treatment??? any hands ?? :)

12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @nills --How long have you been on Trobalt? Does the T go completely away and for how long? Do you plan on staying on Trobalt long term? Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      At this point iv`e been on it for 2 weeks, i`m slowly tapering up although i`m about to make bigger jumps. My highest single dose is 200mg which evokes a big high and does lower the T significantly. A little time ago I had a pauze in taking trobalt because I was out. I was in a garden during day and T was just ruining the experience.. today I was in the same garden noticing how silent it was and how enjoyable it was to be there. I`de say I had a 0/10 for 20 minutes once (edit i`ve had a few actually) ... than diffrent 1-2/10 for an hour or bit longer, 2-3 for few hours and 3-4/10 for the whole day.. coming from a 7/10 it is huge difference in experience of life ... when I notice it is quiet joy comes ... silence and joy/peace/trust are there at the same time as are tinnitus and anxiety/stress/fear .. .for me the mechanisms in the brain are one and the same.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @nills Thanks! Do you think you are really experiencing silence or is it Keppra high that makes you not really notice it? I have had moments, even long periods of time where I don't hear my tinnitus, silence and then I think about where did it go and it suddenly appears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It truly does something ... my T is very much in my face most of the time and when this Trobalt silence comes it is out of there. Ofcourse there is left overs somewhere, it is not a silence as I seem to remember sometimes. But some moments when I really feel it is gone I close my ears and the high tone is so distant or really not there I can`t believe it myself... but in real silent places you will always hear something like a bloodflow or something. I try not to worry about what is left in those moments.

I took 200 mg over an hour ago and it just started working now, I feel the high ... but it isn`t lowering my T significantly ... so I can`t really say there is any structure to when it will or won`t cause silence... I have had near silence on 100mg`s before ... it is a funny chemical this RTG ...

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

Where did you get trobalt in Belgium? From an ENT?