Left Ear Now Translates Loud Sounds Into a High Pitch

Discussion in 'Support' started by Davey, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      This morning I woke up with a weird feeling in my left ear and when I would walk to the toilet the sound of my footsteps translates into a high pitch (left side). This has stratled me allot, because I never experienced this. I got like 4 different type of tinnitus sounds and this feels like something else, because it responds to loud sounds.

Every loud sound creates this high pitched screeching in my left ear, from whistling to passing cars.

Please did someone experience this? I'm literaly scared right now.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      UPDATE: the high pitched that only came forward at loud sounds is now permanent. There is no stimilu needed to create that new 12/10 sound.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It sounds like a form of hyperacusis? I have high pitched tinnitus myself, hard to mask with everyday sounds.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      Sounds don't hurt me. It is like it would react to loud sounds, reactive tinnitus. But only on the left side. I forgot to add that my hearing at the left side is 20% less than it was before. I woke up and my left side hearing was gone for 50% and came back up to 70% and now it's at 80%.

It all happened after waking up. I would walk to the toilet and noticed my hearing was down and it startled me. I thought some wax or something else, so I let it check by a doctor, but he saw a clean ear.

Edit: I got like 5 different tones and got used to all of them. The sudden hearing loss of 50% is scaring me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. meemil

meemil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/genetic
      Could be an episode of sudden sensorineural hearing loss? I've had that, and the symptoms were exactly same: usually a ringing that overlays on top of sounds such as running water, crubling paper bag, and scraping your ear with hand.

I feel like this happens because of a major hearing loss on a small frequency range. Maybe try listening to frequency sweep on Youtube and listen if the area where this ringing happens sounds weird/distorted?
      If it's not easing up in a day, I'd go for a round of prednisone just to be sure.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      Exactly, when I was listening to ACRN my left side couldn't hear one of the beeps, while the right one could! I even tried the paper bag next to my left ear yesterday and the ringing came over it like it was nothing. Luckily I saved me some prednisone and used it straight away. Knowing doctors here in my country they are reluctant with steroids.

This morning I woke up and the reactive tinnitus is gone and the added new high pitched tone that came over me with sounds as water, plastic bag, cars, etc is now gone. I think prednisone saved me on this one.

• Winner Winner x 1