Listen to This Idiot!

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...hings-too-damned-quiet?utm_source=noiseyfbgus

The extract below is from another article, but read the link above as well:

The 3Arena is an example of this new reality that is castrating culture and charging a fortune for it. The decibel- limiting on the PA system is very sad indeed. When upfront at a gig you are supposed to feel the drums and bass rattle your bones, and the music should fill your head to the extant that it can bring you to an ecstatic place.

This is where I wanted to be at Black Sabbath last Friday and Neil Young a few months back. Instead I had to deal with the fact that the volume would not be turned up and the likelihood of reaching ecstasy was slim.

I couldn’t even mutter curses as it would have annoyed people around me!

Black Sabbath have more gigs ahead, finishing up in their hometown of Birmingham. Let’s hope they will be allowed to finish in the manner in which they were conceived and not in the deflated norm of Dublin’s 3Arena. – Yours, etc,

COLM O’CIOSOIG

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sound-opinions-1.2951126

2. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      He has to understand that not everyone can go to very loud shows without consequences...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Total detachment from reality, but shows the inescapable ignorance. To be fair, he probably has no clue how dangerous this is for a lot of people. There is surely no malice in his intent, but someone needs to educate him immediately. I'm all for people doing what they want, and I won't step in the way of anyone else's fun, but your average gig goer is totally unaware of what they could end up like. People need to be told what this does to your ears. If they still want to do this after all the warnings have been given, then good luck to them, honestly. It's a free world, but there can be no come backs to anyone who acquires castostrophic T and/or H if they were given fair warning.

Slating an arena for having a decibel limit on the PA is unbelievably stupid. I've been to some LOUD gigs in my time and I can tell you that there is no ecstasy at all. It gets to a point where you can't hear the music properly and it literally shakes your brain. Turn it down! being able to hear the music clearly is MILES better.

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Come on guys, what else could he say ?

He's the drummer of My Bloody Valentine. He certainly would prefer to kill himself instead of talking about hearing protection.

He's aware of the damage. He probably has huge damage.

5. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      No way otherwise he wouldn't be able to attend shows without protection, let alons asking for them to be louder... He's maybe half deaf but he certainly has no H.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

I'd imagine he's lost most of his high frequencies at the very least. The part that pisses me off is the fact he is complaining about there being a decibel limiter on the PA system. I'm sure the limit they've set would still be plenty loud.

It's good all round encouragement for the younger MBV fans to go stick their heads next to the speakers to find out what this loudness ecstasy is all about.

As a bit of a side story: I was talking to a friend at a gig recently, and he told me a friend of his lost his hearing in one ear, plus tinnitus when he stood right next to a speaker at a wedding. The story goes that nothing was on at the point he was standing there; people were just talking and drinking, then suddenly music blasted out at full volume and blew his ear drum completely. He was instantly deaf in that ear.

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes, he's at least half deaf, that's what I mean. You can't be the drummer / founder of MBV and not be deaf 35 years later.

H is not something many musicians have. They seem to all get hearing loss and mild T, so they can go on with their career.

8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      This is business...

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I first saw this on the download festival forums. A number of people replied saying that they have tinnitus and that they SOMETIMES wear plugs to gigs.

10. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      MBV actually is one of the few bands that give out earplugs at their shows. Their fans also go to their shows explicitly to be blasted with music.

11. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Well you know...My Bloody Valentine didn't do gigs at all 1997-2007. Maybe the TRT started working for them in 2007 ;)?

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not sure if this was supposed to be an MBV reference, but if it was, I got it.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Maybe I'm just becoming bitter and twisted :LOL:.

14. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Ha nope, i don't know any of there songs.

15. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Okay, thought you were referring to this song:
      My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes