Long Day in New York City — Construction Noises, Sirens, Loud Sounds — Can I Get a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone,

Today I was walking around New York city for hours.

I wore musicians earplugs with earmuffs on top. I was exposed to a lot of construction noises, sirens and other really loud sounds so I'm worried about getting a spike.

How likely am I to get as spike in this situation? Considering I wore earplugs and earmuffs. Thank you.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are not experiencing a spike (or an ear fullness sensation) right now, you will likely be ok. If you wake up tomorrow and discover that you are not experiencing those things, you can be pretty sure that you won't be having a spike as a result of this exposure. As for the future, please keep in mind:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/pinkrose16.26792/#profile-post-16427

• Like Like x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The spike is not all that likely, considering you wore both earplugs, and ear muffs. Then again, it depends on how loud the sounds were really, at your location, for how long and how reactive your T is to loud sounds. I have had police sirens go past me with only musician earplugs, and not spiked at this point, but plenty of others have spiked from far less of an exposure.

Also, musician plugs are quite variable in their protection. The ones I have are -18 NRR's, but I have seen others from -12 NRR all the way up to -25 NRR.

4. Chester
      Yeehaw

Chester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2016 to Dec. 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax buildup or iron deficiency
      If your tinnitus reacts to such sounds and as a result you usually get spikes, then you have to worry, otherwise you will be fine. I never wear/wore earplugs or muffs after the onset. IMO, it is meaningless to wear those if you have non-reactive tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      You’ll be fine...

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NYC is one of the few places that I am more prone than not to wearing earplugs around "normal noise levels", but I go there for several days for a conference every 2 years and I've never had any problems with spikes/etc. Mostly just carry plugs and insert them when street noise gets loud or before entering loud bars / restaurants (which is basically all of them).

7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Lifelong NYer. You're fine. It's rough when you have hyperacusis - and I wear plugs around the city a lot - but you're using way more protection than is needed unless you're one of the construction workers.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for the support everyone. @Tom Cnyc yeah I think I was definitely overreacting out of fear of making the tinnitus worse. Thanks for the reassuring words @Bill Bauer @Candy @Digital Doc @linearb. Today was another day with multiple noise exposures, a leaf blower, dog barking close to my ear but I'm gonna keep in mind that no matter how careful you are certain sounds are unavoidable and try not to worry about getting a spike.

• Agree Agree x 1