Long Time Listener, First Time Poster

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ihsoy, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ihsoy

ihsoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Hi All,

TL;DR: I've had ringing T for at least 8 years, probably closer to 10. Just got hearing aids to try to combat the escalating volume. Nothing has worked yet.

I've had ringing for a long time, I really don't even remember when it began. I've had chronic middle ear infections all my life, so my eardrums and the bones, etc of the middle ear have really taken a beating. I'm turning 40 this year, and still get 1-2 ear infections a year, and it was worse as a child.

As a child, I had 3 sets of tubes to combat the recurrent infections. Clearly although they fixed the issue for the short-term, the longer term issue and root cause seems to be Eustacian Tube Dysfunction. At many times during my youth I would have temporary T, due to either loud music exposure or minor trauma (many seasons of soccer and other activities).

I gave myself a pretty nasty concussion while snowboarding in about 2003, and in retrospect, I would guess that this was the start of the T that I have now. Fortunately, my hearing was still adequate to ignore it other than in quiet situations.

When it did get worse, I spoke with my GP and ENT about it, but after an audiogram, it was dismissed as just a byproduct of my worsening hearing (scars on the eardrums from those 3 sets of tubes). I was disappointed that they didn't seem to want to treat it, but went on to see an acupuncturist for treatment. During my first session, he very confidently placed 4 or 5 needles and asked "ok, it's all better now, right?" Unfortunately, nothing changed over several visits.

As my hearing continued to degenerate, I was diagnosed several years ago with retracted eardrums and potential cholesteatoma due to the retraction. I now have a tube in my right ear in order to allow the eardrum to try and re-stabilize itself. I elected not to get a tube in the left ear at the same time, even though my left ear is significantly more retracted. I am considering a tube, or possibly eardrum replacement on that side, however I am concerned about the long-term success of either as the Eustacian tube seems to be locked in the open position.

Oddly, during the placement of the tube, I had about 15 seconds of pure silent bliss. I nearly started crying when the ringing quickly returned.

Unfortunately, the volume of my T has increased to the point where it significantly interferes with my ability to hear and comprehend my family and co-workers. I have just received my first pair of HAs yesterday and am very happy to be able to hear clearly again. Sadly, the T is still there in full force, but the HAs keep me from saying "What?" every time someone addresses me.

My T is a constant "eeeeeee" right around 6kHz. My new bff (my audiologist) hasn't performed any specific testing for the severity of the T, but I would estimate it to be around 60dB, although it still spikes up when I have an infection flare up (like I did the last few weeks).

So here I am joining the board to add my experiences and input and hopefully help support some of you as well. I get very frustrated at times, but try to keep focused on anything other than the noise.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Mike

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Mike,

What's up (besides the volume!!)?? Glad you joined us here at TT. I just recently joined, and it's been a big encouragement and help to me so far!! Great people here from all around the world dealing with Tinnitus in all it's various forms. It's nice to talk with people who actually know what you and I are going through!! :welcomesignanimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Mike glad you joined, I think you will find some solace here...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ihsoy

ihsoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Thanks, Gary and Jeff,

It absolutely is helpful and refreshing to be able to read thoughts and insights of other folks who are going through similar experiences and know that they understand what we are all feeling.

Mike