Long-Time Tinnitus Sufferer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dawn Whinetaker, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hello,

My name is Dawn Whinetaker. I've had tinnitus for 2 years now, which compared to others on this site seems to be quite a bit longer than most here. I've tried many different treatments over the last two years, and I was hoping to share my experiences and hear other's stories on here.

A little bit 'more' about me. I enjoy gardening, writing, reading, crafting, and baking. I live in Alaska and I work as a freelance artist.

I look forward to meeting all of you, and hopefully sharing some inspirational stories and ideas!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hello Dawn and welcome to our little piece of the world. How did you get your tinnitus?
      And please share with us some of your experiences.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I wasn't entirely sure why it started at first (honestly I didn't even know what it was until I went to see a doctor about it). My doctor ultimately decided that it was probably due to me working in a loud music environment. We haven't really discussed any other options as to why it may have started; that seemed to be good enough for my doctor- and it seemed reasonable to me as well.

It didn't come on strong at first, it was very one and off- but it has become constant overtime. Like I said, it's been two years now and it's very frustrating. I've been to quite a few doctors and done a lot of tests- and all have come to the same conclusion that not a lot can be done. I hate that attitude though. I'm more optimistic than that.

I've tried every treatment that's been prescribed to me as well as many 'home remedies' that I've seen online. None have helped thus far, but I don't plan on giving up any time soon. I joined this forum hoping to hear of some new techniques. At this point I'm really willing to try any off-the-wall idea that gets thrown my way.

4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Wow, Cheza, thank you for sharing that! That's a very inspirational post with a lot of input. I appreciate you pointing it out. I've scanned quite a bit of the forum, but I don't think I'd read that one yet.

6. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      The "40 Year Cure" sounds a lot like cognitive behavior therapy--if you change your negative thoughts about T into positive statements, then that will help change your emotional response to your T and make it more manageable. There's a really good book on CBT and tinnitus, Tinnitus: A Self-Management Guide for the Ringing in Your Ears by Jane L Henry and Peter H. Wilson. It's out of pint but can be downloaded on the web.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I will look into that, Steve721. Thanks. I'm actually trying this new therapy from a centre in England, I'm from Alaska but I managed to get the device from a friend who's just come back from a trip there. I've only just started, but the research sounds promising- I will keep you posted!