Looking for Doctor in Massachusetts Experienced in Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChrisM, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I don't think Picamilon not being sold has anything to do with rights; it's not patented as far as I know.

Picamilon was available in the US via multiple sources until late 2015, when FDA's crackdown on it followed:

https://www.fda.gov/food/dietarysupplements/productsingredients/ucm472881.htm

I tried Picamilon quite extensively and it had very little efficacy compared to benzos, which I've also used infrequently.

They cannot be mentioned in the same sentence, in my humble opinion. That said, this was my personal experience.

2. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Always good to hear from someone with first hand experience with it. Thanks for that Markku.

3. Tommy24

Tommy24 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can relate to all your Tinnitus symptoms - jaw cleanching and head movement makes it louder , pushing around my ears elevates it. Being reclined and and lieing down make the PT worse with some head pressure also that builds up. After exercise my head is on full out buzz mode. The buzz mainly comes from the middle back of my head and sometimes radiates to the ears ..more the right one

I woke up one morning with this high pitched buzzing going on 5 years now. Done the usual; Docs, ENT , Neurologist , MRI's ., Chiropractors - nothing helped really helped me! Its always there but the severity varies and I don't notice it until I check for it now. I gave up trying to find an answer the whole thing just got too much and a drag on my life - I had to practically beg my neurologist for an mri because of the intercanial hypterension I was experiencing and increase in PT ,but alas nothing came up !.I'm in Mass also , let me know if you find anything useful or someone who knows what they are talking about. I'm pretty sure mine is related to a deep rooted cervical issue in my neck to do with my posture ..slowly bought on after many years. I did suffer a badly herniated disc before this all started which required a cortisone shot into my lower back to fix ...maybe that was the trigger ..who knows ??
      Good luck in your search for answers

Tom

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisM

ChrisM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Seems head/neck/jaw muscular tension
      Hi Tom,

Where are you in Mass? I am out in Northampton area.

It is so frustrating because it seems so muscular/skeletal related. Did you have any imaging in your neck? If so, did it show anything unusual?

I have an appointment Feb 1 (long wiat!) at Ma Eye and Ear at the Lauer Tinnitus research center with a doc who only works with Tinnitus patients. My hopes are not too high, but they did say there was something hopeful with trials being run at University of Maryland, but that is all I know.

https://www.masseyeandear.org/resea...s/laboratories/lauer-tinnitus-research-center

How long did it take you to let the noise fade into the background? Sometimes I can do that, but when it is screaming loud, it is very hard to ignore.

take it easy

Chris

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisM

ChrisM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Halsy,

You have said that the somatosensory tinnitus generally goes away on its own within 6 - 18 months.

Where is that information coming from?

thanks

Chris

6. Tommy24

Tommy24 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Chris: I'm in Bolton, Ma , Yes I had imaging done in my neck region - I requested that...it came up as perfectly normal...that was basicallythe point I gave up searching for relief.

Probably after 12 months it started not to really bother me - I would say the level has dropped over the years but lying down and exercise can bring it on to very high levels and it can longer a while after that. Shame because I exercise a lot.

Have you tried taking Melatonin? That seems to really calm mine down and some days with a good night's sleep it has disapeared entirely even when I look for it. I may try taking Ginkgo at some point as I hear that has helped some with PT.

Sounds like you have an appointment setup with the right guy.

Good luck man - it will get better!
      Cheers Tom

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisM

ChrisM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the encouragement Tom, sometimes it is really maddening.

I think I will give the melatonin a try one of these days, seems like it has been helpful for some.

By the way, what type of imaging did you get on your neck?

thanks

Chris