Loud Music and Different Tinnitus After

Discussion in 'Support' started by theekarwash, Sep 6, 2014.

1. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      Hey guys,

I recently went to a debutante ball (debs/prom) two days ago. It was very loud, there a band and a DJ. I hadn't got ear plugs with me so I had to endure it.

Anyway, when I got home from it my T had changed. My regular T went and there was a different sound, more low pitched and kind of like a generator. When I yawn I can normally hear a ring but I only hear it when I yawn, but when I yawned after this, I couldn't hear the usual ring, which I found odd.

I think my T started from an ear infection and hay fever.

What could the different sound be? Could it prove that my T isn't from noise exposure rather a different cause seeing as the T was completely different? Just curious. Thanks! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      My T, which i'm 90% sure is noise induced, starts to pulse with my heartbeat when I exercise. Kind of sucks really, it's really putting me off from exercising.

It just seems all so random. Seems there are no rules or logic to it. It just does what it likes.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had pulsatile T for a few weeks after onset of T. It is so random indeed.

4. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      It really is. The intensity of my T increases slightly when I press just below the opposite ear, as well as when I clench my jaw or kneel over quickly.

From what I've browsed on this forum it seems changing sounds is quite the norm with T. Mines hasn't changed since onset from what I can tell. It's only been 5 weeks though so there is plenty of time for that to change.

5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      You probably have additional noise damage, which is drowning out your other tinnitus. I'm sure your other tinnitus sound still exists.

I'd take some NAC (600 mg, 2x a day) for the next few weeks to help yourself heal.

Most importantly, don't focus on the new noise; focusing may help it to stick. Right now, there's an excellent chance it will go away. Please know for the next several months, however, you need to be very careful about sound exposure. You are more likely to incur damage while your ears are healing. Of course, you don't have to protect with normal sounds, just loud ones.

And please, always bring ear plugs. Many are really discreet. These are what I use for noisy events:

They come in two sizes; the blue is the smaller one.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Henry 417
      Alone

Henry 417 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi there, everyone here has pretty much covered your question. I would just re-emphasize to AVOID loud noises and try to allow yourself to get at least 8 hours of sleep. If you have trouble sleeping like I do, you can take some over the counter sleep aids. I take Ambien and if you have frequent sleep issues I suggest asking your doctor about your options. Many times it will improve! Good luck and God bless!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The new noise from the loud music is gone, I was just wondering could it be related to my existing T. My friend has had T his whole life and he said that when he's around loud music his T is the same, just louder. Mine was different so I was wondering if they were related. :)

8. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      And that's why I refused to go to the debs. Seriously, if I were you I would avoid all these loud place at all costs. A night of enjoyment isn't worth a lifetime of Tinnitus.

9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      They are related. Like perhaps everyone with tinnitus, you have damage to your cochlea. Depending on where that damage is located, your tinnitus will sound different. Higher pitch tinnitus sounds--like most people tend to get--are associated with damage to the outer hair cells; lower pitched sounds are associated with damage to the inner hair cells. Be thankful that your tinnitus was only temporary. But this doesn't mean you didn't do any damage. Please, take my advice and take some NAC and magnesium for 30 days to enable your hair cells to heal. They've definitely incurred new damage, which is why you heard new, lower sounds. But hair cells are also resilient; your were able to recover. Now is the time to aid in their recovery and minimize potential damage.

For magnesium, I'd take 200 mg, 2x a day. I'd probably use magnesium citrate with the NAC. I believe this type of magnesium is also more gentle on the stomach. But take both supplements with meals.

Below is a picture of the cochlea, showing its frequency organization (tonotopic organization):

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 10.55.10 PM.png

Here is a picture of inner and outer cochlear hair cells, including normal and damaged hair cells:

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 11.02.16 PM.png

Please note that every one with tinnitus--even with normal hearing--has damaged hair cells, except for, perhaps, people suffering from traumatic brain injury (TBI). In these instances, the damage may only be central (brain) in origin.

And here is a recent clinical trial that used NAC and magnesium to prevent noise-induced hearing loss. From my recent research, however, I now believe that a 30-day regiment of these two supplements are needed to minimize any latent toxic effects from noise exposure. (I'll post a new study I just found in this week.)

References:

10. Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,
      how long does it take for your ears to heal

11. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm going to be frank with you here. From experience: Don't push your luck. Obviously you haven't learned your lesson yet. I may appear as really rude but if by rudeness saves you from getting worse T - so be it. It seems that you haven't experienced loud enough T because you still prefer to test your limits.

Tip: Order ear plugs which come with key fob or order fob separately. In that way you will have always your ear plugs with you. That is what I do or actually I have 3 different ear plugs with different levels of attenuation. They fit in my key chain easily.

@jazz , the most gentle form of magnesium for stomach is magnesium glycinate (at least in terms of diarrhea). I actually use citrate if I know I will be on low fiber diet for couple of days 1000mg/day keeps my gut working even tho I'm a bit prone to mild constipation. 1000mg/day may be too much for average sized guy but for me it is suitable dosage.