Loud Noise Exposure Caused My Tinnitus — Prednisone Made It Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by DSL, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @DSL -- Thanks for the update. Just to mention, I notice a spike in my tinnitus when I take Ginkgo biloba. I'm pretty sure I've also seen reports from others whose tinnitus worsened from taking Ginkgo Biloba. You might want to try discontinuing it and see if it makes a difference. -- Take care!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      How are you doing today? I hope you are feeling better. I wonder if NAC can help in this case...

Also, for those who mentioned tapering: what is the optimal tapering schedule for Prednisone? And what is the ideal jumping dose?

3. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In my experience 13 days is way too late for steroids to have any realistic chance at preventing permanent damage.

3 days tops. Even then it's not a guarantee. I would take it within the hour, along with NAC supplements to help prevent oxidation and excitotoxicity.

My left ear started ringing January this year out of the blue whilst sitting down watching TV in the evening. It turns out it was likely several episodes of NIHL caused by loud bangs (WH1000XM4 headphones have a hard plastic shell which, when hit hard, really ping crazy loud). No way that they couldn't at least potentially cause damage between 4 kHz and 6 kHz which is where NIHL presents.

4. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Labyrinthitis
      Not sure this is true about 3 days tops. I think I've seen a study that said 4-6 weeks, or something around that, was considered the max. But I think it was a study on tinnitus from viral infections and not noise exposure. But I'm sure more data would be needed.