Loud Voices Make Me Anxious and Scared

Discussion in 'Support' started by HanaK, Jan 6, 2019.

1. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      I was waiting for my ride after having my ears syringed (so much wax that they couldn't see my eardrum... oops q-tip abuse lol) and a guy walked by with his friend. They were talking and he said "No" in a normal conversational voice I would assume. Maybe a little louder than average. But it sounded so loud that I literally jumped and started getting anxious about hearing damage. (because I have really bad hearing loss at a young age)

Is this hyperacusis? Even loud laughter sends me into anxiety mode, or sudden raises in people's voices when they're angry or surprised in conversation (especially in the car because it's such a confined space).

I understand that human voices is something I shouldn't fear unless they're screaming into my ears, but loud talkers make me anxious. I can be having a good conversation with someone, then once they laugh loudly my face turns grim and I start to panic. Or when my mom yells at me in the car, I start to panic because it's such a confined space.

This fear is making me not want to go anywhere or talk to anyone anymore in order to protect my ears/avoid tinnitus spikes. :(

2. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Have you told your friends and mom and about your condition? You need to inform those around you. And if they still laugh loud or yell you need to immediately react like "Please keep it down!".

You can also use earplugs. Keep in mind that its likely to get better if you protect your ears from sounds that hurt.

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That sounds like pretty bad hyperacusis, if the voices of people sound too loud and make you anxious.

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I think it sounds more like phonophobia, maybe with a slight hyperacusis added.

I have quite bad hyperacusis and on many days normal speaking voices gives me actual pain in the ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have to agree.

Politely, do tell your family and friends to lower their voice.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Thank you everyone! I think it's definitely phonophobia and a bit of hyperacusis. :cautious: My parents are pretty much aware of my ears, but they still yell at me regardless... Maybe I should saying things that cause them to yell at me hehe. :p

7. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Whoa, let's be a bit realistic here...

After a long period of time with blocked ears due to wax - and then having it removed - it is perfectly normal for everyday sounds to be perceived as being louder.

Wax = blocked ears = muffled/reduced hearing (dependent on how blocked ears were)

Wax removed = ears unblocked = normal/improved hearing and (often) increased perception of loudness. This perception reduces in time - usually very quickly

8. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Dear HanaK:

I am sorry to read about your distress. It sounds that you do have hyperacusis, and right after getting your ears syringed. Could that have caused it? Did you have hyperacusis before the cleaning? I just had my ears cleaned of wax, but I never have them syringed; rather I ask the doctor to do it manually with some device that kind of sucks up the wax and withdraws it. It just pulls a bit on the eardrum. That being said, over the years I have never heard of a case of h. after ear wax cleaning procedures of any type. But I still avoid the spray of syringes due to the pressure and possible excess noise.

Your anxiety, fear, and panic at having h. are understandable. As I was coming down with hyperacusis 23 years ago, I lost a lot of weight due to worry, and ended for 3 one night stays in a psychiatric ward due to great panic and suicidal depression. Then I started to adjust psychologically to a new life. I still get panicky and worried when I have a bad setback. But over the last 23 years, I have had more good days than bad. As to how those with permanently bad hyperacusis adjust, I do not know. I wonder if one can ever really adjust to permanently bad hyperacusis.

Good luck.

Marco

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I sometimes think that I've learned to "manage" it. That would seen to fall a bit short of "really" adjusting.

10. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Is it possible to adjust to hyperacusis or is managing it the best we can do?

I have been wearing earplugs a lot and it's gotten to the stage now where voices seem incredibly loud. Concerned that soon I'll just be stuck at home in silence.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No it's misophonia.

No this person seems to be describing misophonia,
      https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-is-misophonia

Not directly related to the pathologies noise induced pain or abnormal amplificaiton of specific frequencies however is is the
      by product if actual hyperacusis.

Pain from noise will lead to complications such as fear from noise.

12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I think it really varies with each individual, and the circumstances surrounding their getting hyperacusis (I believe mine was the result of a head injury). I'm keeping a minimally invasive surgery in mind as I contemplate my options:

A New Treatment For Hyperacusis 2016 2nd Seminar Master

• Helpful Helpful x 1