Low-Frequency Pulsatile Tinnitus and Atrial Fibrillation

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike2012, Nov 14, 2015.

1. mike2012

mike2012 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/09/2014
      Hi
      I have pulsative low frequency tinnitus.
      I have recently been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I note that atrial fibrillation generates at about 60 hz, which appears to be the frequency of my tinnitus. Does anyone know of any link between low frequency tinnitus and AF?
      Mike.

2. Shawty
      Insomnious

Shawty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably an ear infection or damage to the eardrums.
      Well, I don't know if there's a link, but I figure I'd give you support.
      A lot of the things I say are easier said than done, seeing as I habituated at an early age, but just don't panic. T feeds off of anxiety and panic and you just can't listen to it. If it's there, just say to yourself, "It doesn't matter, even if it doesn't go away it's just another sound of life." It's easier when I say that you can't control everything in your life like you think you can, like air conditioning hums, crying, laughter, parties in the other room/house, etc. None of those things are things you can control. You just have to have the same mentality with T.

Anyways, I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but I hope it helped you anyways.
      I hope you T goes away soon. :3

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @mike2012

I think I have read of other people with afib who have pulsatile tinnitus, so, yes, I think it is possible that there is a connection. Is your pulsating tinnitus constant, or intermittent?

If you haven't already, you could look on Whooshers.com for more information. Since pulsatile tinnitus is vascular in nature, I think it is very likely your PT could be related to your condition. Have you asked your doctor about it? Are you currently seeing a cardiologist? The cardiologist may be familiar with this symptom in relation to afib.

Thanks, and I hope you'll update us if you decide to have it checked out.

Best wishes,
      Karen