Low-Pitched Humming = Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Support' started by KeyLime, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @OnceUponaTime it can if the hum is inflammation related....Worth a try

2. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      What is Meniere's?
      Meniere is a fantastic inexistent disease...
      What this means ... when some doctors don't know what you have in the inner ear because it is closed and they can not see it they say it is Meniere's.
      Meniere's is a list of symptoms and not a real disease.
      The meniere symptoms have many causes such as autoimmune / viral / traumatic etc
      So when someone doctor say you you have meniere disease there are some facts.
      1) It is not a good doctor you must find other doctor
      2) Doesn't know what you have exactly
      3) He must make a diagnosis and meniere is the easy way.

Low pitch tinnitus is the most distressing tinnitus and probably is from low frequency hearing loss or from a sound-problem generated near the acoustic system the ear hears it naturally.

3. Davey998

Davey998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad diet (I think).
      I'm not sure if I have Meniere's or not. I have had high pitched bilateral tinnitus for 10 months now and about 2 months ago developed a low pitched hum in just my left ear. It comes and goes. It feels like there is something actually vibrating in my ear and sounds like zzzz,zz,zzzzzzz,z,zzzzz,zzzz. It is inconsistent and drives me nuts. May be myoclonus? I don't feel it is stress related. Also, I have not had vertigo attacks so I know a doctor will not diagnose me with Meniere's.

I did find some very interesting information on Meniere's at:
      http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/atlas-adjustments-alleviate-menieres-disease

I have been pursuing upper cervical chiropractic for quite a while now but without much success. I feel strongly that my symptoms are coming from my neck as all tests on my ears (ENT, neurologist, audiograms, MRI, etc) are fine.

4. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Ok, what makes you think or how do you know this?

This is a true statement.

I feel the same at times too.

5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

You were mostly tinnitus free until your recent vaccine flare up, correct? So did this hum go away? I am having a hum and exactly as you say my heartbeat makes it rev up with each beat. My other higher pitched tones I am fairly used to, but dealing with this one is really rough. Clonazepam suppresses it some. Right now it seems intermittent, but possibly slowly becoming more consistent.

6. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, that hum went away after about a year. I suspect it may have been some kind of inflammation of the mastoid as that was only thing that showed up in an MRI.

I found Promethazine helped with the hum as did ginger, honey and turmeric drink.

The present hum is more problematic. I believe it is due to general vascular issues.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      If you’re still here, did it get progressively louder? Or the same thing on and off over 20 years. Did you have lots of noise exposure in your life?

8. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Sorry to hear you have a new one. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully the vaccine flare up will subside for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here's a post I put in another thread last week. My doctor has put me on a new antidepressant (Prestiq) and is referring me to an ENT I saw a few years ago. Before this most recent relapse, I thought I would never have to talk about this awful topic again.

I've had a low-pitched buzzing/humming in my head since 1996, although it has been known to go away for periods of up to three years. I've been on the antidepressant Escitalopram (generic Lexapro) for 15 years which I stared taking for depression, anxiety, and OCD. The buzzing in my head stayed away for years, but would occasionally return from out of the blue. I assumed (hoped) that the Escitalopram was helping with this.

Last week, I had another relapse after being buzz-free for three years. Since it returned, I haven't felt like myself. The major depression has returned, and I've lost all interest in the things that I normally relish. I have no appetite, and sleeping is virtually impossible. In addition to hearing this awful noise, I can also feel it. My whole head feels as if a propeller plane is flying around causing a vibration in my ears and throat.

Shaking my head from side to side will stop the humming but only for a few seconds.

The noise is also reactive. Playing music on my stereo, talking on the telephone, or strumming my acoustic guitar will cause it to go into overdrive. Up until last week, none of these things caused any problems. The word 'tinnitus' wasn't even in my vocabulary anymore. Now it's all I think about (again).

I'm seeing my doctor this week about possible getting on a new antidepressant. After 15 years on the same one, it might be time for a change.

10. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey

Sorry to hear! I think it’s safe to say it will disappear again and it’s great that it has so many times.

So it’s always been both ears from day 1 for you?

• Like Like x 1