Low-Suction Ear Muffs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MSF, May 10, 2019.

1. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Just got a pair of 3M Peltor X-series and don't think these are going to work for me. Bass from footsteps is really prominent along with pretty much any other movement. But on top of that it feels like these create quite a lot of suction during use and my tinnitus definitely seemed to have spiked even after only a few minutes of use (and after I gently rotated them off). Also, I bought the 27 dB model and I don't think I need something that extreme for regular house chores/city walking/public transport.

There are a million options out there so I was wondering if anyone has experience with earmuffs that don't quite seal as tightly? Up until now I had been using some Sennheiser HD280 headphones, which do a good job of cutting general background noise and peaks without sealing. But their heavy audio cable makes them quite cumbersome for mobile use so I am looking to replace them basically.

2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am looking for comfortable muffs too. So frustrating. I have Peltor X4A and they are probably even worse.

I think people will advise against wearing headphones though. I am not sure if NC ones are okay or not. Some people say they are okay. Others advise against wearing any kind.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      I actually don't use them as actual music headphones anymore, only as earmuffs!:) I am honestly tempted to just cut the very long and annoying cable off and use them for that reason only (they are pretty expensive though so would prefer a better "real" earmuff option).