Matt from What Seems Like Hell

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DontRingMyBell, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DontRingMyBell

DontRingMyBell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2014
      Hello,

I'm Matt. I live in Vancouver. I've had tinnitus for probably going on a year now.

I have TMJ, but I feel like this all started with e-cigarettes. They gave me temporary tinnitus and panic attacks. So, I eventually stopped the e-cigarettes. Both the tinnitus and panic attacks stuck around. The panic attacks have largely stopped, but the tinnitus just keeps getting worse.

I really need to get this figured out. I actually spent the first half of my life overcoming addiction problems. A long stint in jail got that right out of my system. So, I'm not prepared to go through the rest of my life with another monkey on my back.

Honestly, if I just knew what it was from, I would be happy. As long as I knew that it wasn't anything serious. I've had EKGs, brain scans, x-rays and other stuff, and they all tell me that nothing is wrong with me.

Glad to be a part of the forum, and glad to have found a place for support.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What kind of brain scans ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DontRingMyBell

DontRingMyBell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2014
      CT scan. They sent me into the tube and took a look at my brain.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      right so...for what its worth, tinnitus wont show up on any CT, MRI, X-ray.
      it is not a structural problem, its a functional disorder.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @dan, with all due respect; in some cases, although not many, tinnitus is due to a structural or physical problem. That's why a CT or MRI are part of a proper tinnitus evaluation. The docs want to rule out anything that is fixable.

@DontRingMyBell: Many people never know what caused their tinnitus. I know it can be frustrating. But my personal opinion is at some point, you can make matters more difficult for yourself by fixating on the cause. The reality is that even if you could find the cause, you still have a condition for which, at this point, there are no sure-fire treatments. Again, my opinion: better that you spend your time, money and energy finding good, healthy ways to manage your tinnitus than chasing down the cause.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DontRingMyBell

DontRingMyBell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2014
      @dan Haha. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting any sort of tinnitus monster to have attached itself to my brain. That seems a little nonsensical. I was, however, concerned about things like acoustic neuroma or any sort of other growth that may affect the inner ear.

@LadyDi Thanks. I am slowly finding out what is helping. The main reason that I am searching for a cause is so that if it does happen to be anything important, I can catch it.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      The main reason that I am searching for a cause is so that if it does happen to be anything important, I can catch it.

Agreed! That's why things like CTs and an audiology evaluation are important early on. Keep looking for what helps manage your tinnitus in the meantime, which it sounds like you are doing. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      yes i meant the hearing loss type tinnitus. thanks for reminding us about the other type.

• Like Like x 1