Maxillo-Facial Surgery Can Relieve Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by hans01, Mar 13, 2018.

1. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I just heard back from a friend that her 24-year-old daughter had maxillo-facial surgery one month ago (initially for sleep apnea) and it completely relieved her loud tinnitus. Her tinnitus was really bad and at moments she thought she would go crazy. Just wanted to post this here as this is pretty interesting.

Myself, I had surgery for sleep apnea a month ago (inside mouth and amygdalectomie), didn't change my T or sleep apnea much, it's a little better though, but end this month I have an appointment to consider maxillo-facial surgery to see if this can completely help me, getting rid of T would then be a bonus.

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Rolo

Rolo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, think it's jaw related.
      Hey hans01,

I am really interested to hear about how you have got on with your maxillo-facial surgery and the alleviation of your tinnitus.

Also what was the operation that your daughter had which relieved her tinnitus? Is she still tinnitus free?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Rolo, it was the daughter of a friend, and yes the surgery completely cured her very bad T.

I had an appointment with the doctor two weeks ago and will probably proceed with surgery asap, but have first to do a few months of dental work (up til a year maybe) before I can do the surgery, so quite a lot of time and work to do.

The doctor said that indeed, if T isn't from acoustic trauma that this type of surgery can completely cure T or at least help a lot. My case is complex as I was a pro musician and have moderate hearing lossabove 5-6Khz , so hard to know where my issue comes from but I have been clenching teeth since a long time so maybe it is related to my sleep apnea or part of it. The doctor saw from photos that indeed my jaw has serious issues and also articulations of the jaws have been used and compressed due to heavy teeth clenching during years, which alone can cause T as we all know.

I also have had anxiety and emotional issues since I had a street agression when I was younger + IBS issues since I was born and am emotionally very sensitive, so chances are my case is a big mix of everything.

Best is to check for a very good doctor and have an appointment to check if your jaw profile indeed needs intervention or not. good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have to add that in some cases when I'm completely zen (like yesterday eve) my T's become very soft and low volume, and when i'm anxious or stressed my T can go up to 8-9/10 scale. So I know that for some reason my stress increases the volume of my T a lot as are bad nights and sleep apneas. What I don't understand is why it fluctuates that much lately, except being in a silent room where it can go up in a few minutes, really strange thing T's, wish I didn't had to live with it, as it fucked up a port of my life and I had to stop doing gigs since 2 years because of the very bad T's, and as soon as I play a little guitar for some reason I have the feeling it goes up a lot, especially playing the higher freq registers.

• Like Like x 1