Melatonin Trial Being Conducted in the UK

Discussion in 'Research News' started by 111, Jul 31, 2015.

1. 111

111 Member

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      This may be the ticket we have been looking for. I was on melatonin for a while to help me sleep. I eventually got my sleep back so I stopped taking it. Now that I think about it ever since I stopped taking it the tinnitus is more noticeable than when I was taking it. I'm going to start taking it again and see how it affects me. I dont think we have anything to lose trying this out. Great find.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I use sour tart cherry powder as it contains melatonin. It does help somewhat with insomnia.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      does it give you any crazy dreams? I take a tart cherry concentrate on and off, and when I'm on it, my (usually vivid) dreams are absolutely insane forays into memory and consciousness.

5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yep, although not as crazy as the ones I had when I was on trobalt.

6. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I'm kinda curious as to why they think Melatonin will help T? Is it because they think T is related to how much sleep one gets?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I know that nights that I dont sleep well I have loud T the next day. T is complex and issues like lack of sleep, anxiety, depression, nervousness can all make it worst. Once you get past all of the anxiety depression issues then you can rule those out. I had asked the question before and T does vary and is affected by the waking/sleep cycle we have. I know when I take a nap it shows up right as I wake up loudly.

I have been taking it for 3 days now. 2 days I didnt sleep well because I stayed up and it was there, but not as loud as similar days with bad sleep. On day 3 today my T is hardly noticeable and I got good sleep last night. I have been taking 1 mg 30 min before sleeping. This doesnt prove anything, but I am going to keep with it. I have tried every other supplement out there without any success so giving this one a shot works for me. I have nothing to lose

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jay_Dee63

Jay_Dee63 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I take 3mg every night. It helps me sleep regularly, but does not do anything for T that a regular night of sleep doesn't do.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take 1g (2x 500mg) tart cherry extract before bed whenever I have joint pain and I also have vivid dreams on the nights I take it. Seems like other people have reported the same phenomenon with tart cherry juice http://www.reddit.com/r/gout/comments/2n6dys/tart_cherry_juice_causing_vivid_dreams/

10. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Just to clarify regarding the original post: This isn't actually an announcement for a new trial. It is an announcement that they are planning to conduct a review of the existing literature. Toward the end of the announcement, it says

Dissemination plans
      This is a Cochrane review and will be published in full online in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR), which is a core component of The Cochrane Library.​

If interested, here is more information about Cochrane Reviews: http://www.cochranelibrary.com/cochrane-database-of-systematic-reviews/index.html