MeRT Magnetic Stimulation as a Tinnitus Treatment?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by bobthebuilder, Apr 20, 2019.

1. bobthebuilder
      No Mood

bobthebuilder Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amitriptyline, hidden hearing loss, whiplash (?), stress (?)
      Hi all,

I recently stumbled across some articles discussing "MeRT" treatment, which basically seems to be a modified version of rTMS, as being effective for veterans with PTSD and other anxiety disorders. Given what I know about tinnitus, particularly the type I have (high pitched ~16000 Hz somatic tinnitus that started randomly during a very stressful time), I figured it might be worth a shot.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medic...ing-magnetic-resonance-therapy-can-treat-ptsd

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...c8b3ca-58aa-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html

Has anyone tried this treatment for tinnitus and/or have any additional insight about it?

I gave their main center in Newport Beach a call (https://www.braintreatmentcenter.com/mert) and asked them specifically about using their protocol for tinnitus. The lady on the phone said she's had at least three patients who have found some relief (in that the tinnitus didn't go away but became significantly less bothersome).

Also asked her about the difference between standard rTMS and what they do, and was told that it is similar but just a different "personalized" frequency (whereas rTMS is typically at 10 Hz, she claimed that they use their EEG results to pick the right frequency for you).

I have spent way too much money and caused far more harm and injury to myself by pursuing these types of "alternative" treatments so far... and reading about this therapy "resetting" the brain using "personalized frequencies" just set all the quack alarm bells off in my head. So just wanted to ask around if anyone knows this to be safe/effective or just some more predatory snake oil.

BTW the cost is $2500 for initial consultation followed by $2000 per week of treatment thereafter (and if it's effective, she said they recommend doing it for a month)... so not cheap... and unlikely to be covered by insurance.

Thanks,
      Bob

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Aurélien

Aurélien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club, headphone, acoustic trauma
      lol what a scam
      im glad im not living in the US

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bobthebuilder
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Count your lucky stars.

I used to be convinced (admittedly by fox news propaganda) that our healthcare was the best in the world.. that people in socialized countries envied our system. Had never needed a doctor before my T started and really believed everything was hunky dory.

Only in the past four years have I been forced to confront what a horrible, predatory mess it really is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Aurélien

Aurélien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club, headphone, acoustic trauma
      I live in France and I have had a severe asma when I was young, without our healthcare system my parents might have not been able to afford it and I 'd probably not be alive anymore.
      But back to Tinnitus this sound like a hugeeeeeeeeeeee scam. They make money from few desperate people. If they could cure it we have been hearing from it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Consultation, if treatment per week is $2K, should be free.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bobthebuilder
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FYI for any interested - I went and paid up for the 1 week initial consultation and treatment a few months ago. Spiked my T, and it has remained marginally worse since.

rTMS in general I realize now is too blunt of a tool to have any positive effects on tinnitus, at least at this stage. They have very little precision on where they're targeting. It's basically just big magnets put up against your forehead and blasted at the highest power you can tolerate.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. F Bastardo

F Bastardo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know for certain. Suspect that it's cervicalgenic
      Lots of scams and even more shady greedy medical providers. I think MeRT is legit for some conditions but in our filthy greedy medical system money rules so even if it could work for some people with tinnitus depending on the cause, the charlatans will say it will cure everything. They are making cure all claims about CBD oil.

In my case I suspect that my tinnitus is related to a neck injury because it's in my left ear and I have TMJ on that side. A month or so ago it stopped for a week but that happened when I had a condition called wry neck.

BTW, in my case doctors were as worthless as tits on a bull when it comes to help. About all they offer is dumb looks.

Finally, I would not rule out trying PEMF or MeRT for some sufferers but I think it would be it would be hit and miss.

• Informative Informative x 1