Metronidazole Antibiotic and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fish, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello people, how are you! ;)

If anyone happens to remember me, I am glad to say I am doing very well and tinnitus is now a bad dream from the past. However, I will probably always remain cautious...

I've been prescribed amoxicilline + metronidazole to tackle helicobacter pylori. Now I know that amoxicilline is safe because I used it already before. But metronidazole, I am really not sure about it. Leaflet doesn't list tinnitus as a side effect, on the internet there isn't much about it either but a source or two mention risk of ototoxicity. It appeared on Calin's list of ototoxic drugs. Not very obvious but a little warning sign to me.

I somewhat need to take this antibiotic but on the other hand I'd rather just stop treatment than go through hell with tinnitus again. I dealt with helicobacter for years and it's nowhere as bad as tinnitus is.

Please, if you took this antibiotic in the past or you know someone who did, could you give some feedback? How did you react to it? Did it make tinnitus worse? Is there anything to protect ears during ototoxic treatment? Any help is greatly appreciated :notworthy:

Fish

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Fish! Welcome back!

I haven't taken metronidazole myself, but I did find an article about it, which says that it is rarely ototoxic.
      http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bilat/ototoxins.html

Hopefully, someone who has taken this medication will respond soon.

I am glad to hear that your tinnitus is mostly a thing of the past. That is great news!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Alright, I thought a lot about this over the last days and it isn't an easy decision for me, but since metronidazole doesn't seem to be as infamously ototoxic as other things I tried before, I decided that I'm going to take it for 10 days starting tomorrow.

In the name of science. I will report back what happens.

Also, if somebody had bad experience with metronidazole and just found this thread, this is a good time to stop me :eek:

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I promised to give an update and I didn't - my apologies!

I know this is an old post and old news, but for future reference if anyone visits this thread:

I took metronidazole combined with amoxicilline for two weeks. It did not affect my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Incidentally, I've just come off a course of IV metronidazole, amoxicillin and flucloxicillin. Followed by an oral course of Clindamycin, flucloxocillin and co-amoxiclav. My oral dosage was 950g, four times a day, split between Clindamycin and flucloxicillin. The IV dose of the others was much higher, and I can also say metronidazole had no affect on my tinnitus. Neither did the other anti-biotics.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Ryan Edwards

Ryan Edwards Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took Metronidazole for a week and it spiked my tinnitus. That was 2 months ago.

I hope things will improve.