Middle Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by kane, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. kane

kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2013
      Good morning Doctor. I waited two months to see if my middle ear infection would go away on its own until I took antibiotics then . Was this a dangerous choice to wait? What is likelihood that the infection damaged the ossiculur bones, and also went into the inner ear to damage the cochlear ? I haven't had any symptoms of dizziness ,spinning, hearing loss or anything. ‎

I would really appreciate your knowledge as I am quite scared.
      Thank you
      Kimmal Singh

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi Kimmal. Thank you for your question.

I am not an ENT, nor have I examined you, so that's really two strikes against me right there in terms of giving you an accurate responsible response.

That said, I do feel comfortable speaking in a few broad generalities. The type of middle ear infection that could potentially damage the ossicles would typically be a long-standing (i.e., chronic) recurrent process. An otitis media like you seem to be describing would much more likely result in a perforated eardrum than it would result in ossicular damage. And as far as cochlear hair cell damage is goes, I do not think it at all likely that the type of process you are describing would migrate centrally to the cochlea.

But given your concern, who don't you go to an ENT for an examination. It's simple. It's quick. And then your mind will be completely at ease!

Be well.

stephen nagler