Minor Tinnitus for Years, Recently Turned Into Moderate Severity After Noise Exposure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by chronism, Feb 3, 2020.

1. chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1991, moderate since 12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      So I have been lurking on the forums off and on, thought it was time to join after a month of moderate tinnitus due to noise exposure. I've had very minor tinnitus in one ear for 25+ years, the type I'd only notice in a quiet room and listened for it. That has all changed now...

It was my own dang fault. I came across a piece of equipment at work making very loud noise. Like a fool, I spent a few minutes trying to determine the cause instead of leaving and returning with hearing protection. Around the same time I started experiencing a sinus infection and a few days into it the ringing in both ears started. It is way louder than anything I've experienced before and 24/7.

I saw a ENT mainly for the sinus infection and discussed the ringing. He said it could be from the sinus infection or noise exposure, that we would have to wait and see if it stops once the sinus clears up. I held on to hope though in the back of my mind I knew it was probably from the noise exposure as it was really loud high pitched noise. Now that hope has faded and I've started struggling with the fact that I screwed up and will now have to live with that decision the rest of my life. My sinus has started to clear and the ringing is loud and constant a month later.

It's been a real struggle the past week. My thoughts are filled with how my life will never be the same and so many what if's had I just gone and gotten ear plugs first. I can't seem to enjoy anything at all as I can hear the tinnitus over the TV, surroundings, people talking.

So I've come here to learn more about coping with tinnitus since I know there's no cure. I've been encouraged by the positive posts I've read of people that have become habituated or had their tinnitus subside, but also been discouraged by those that have not. But also to have a place to talk to people that understand. Friends and family just don't seen to get a grasp or understand what I'm dealing with. Heck, I feel the ENT doesn't put much into the tinnitus side of things.

Mike

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Welcome Mike. I'm also experiencing extreme regret after royally screwing up my ears at a concert. I know exactly how you feel.

You've come to the right place, there's a lot of information and some very knowledgable members here that have helped me far more than the medical community has.

Have you had a hearing test? If you haven't lost any hearing I think there's a good cance that the T may die down. I've been advised that ears heal extremely slowly, so it could be months.

Good luck man

3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Welcome, show your ENT the petition by the British Tinnitus Association that has been circulating. Also the comments in the petition are telling.

It may settle down once your sinus us better, try to get on top of that. Make sure you are not prescribed ototoxic medication and stay away from noise...

One day at a time...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Thank you for responding! I haven't had a test yet, but know from previous and personal observation I have some hearing loss in my left ear, been like that long before this attack. I have another appt. with ENT this week and going to push the tinnitus issue over sinus when I visit. It's been a really tough couple of weeks. I can't stop thinking about how it used to be in certain situations without ringing and that just bring on despair. But I just can't keep myself from those thoughts. I'm just not sure how I'm going to continue like this.

Thanks for the response and info.

Well that eliminates a lot of meds I take pretty regularly. I feel like every time I get a headache I'll have to live with it or risk aggrivating my T.

5. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Stuff like paracetamol should be ok. Your ENT should have a list of what is ototoxic, it’s not that many day to day things. Some recent study showed that even minor hearing loss correction can impact tinnitus perception. It was in the ATA magazine this summer... I know how you’re feeling we’ve all been there...

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is still a reasonable chance that after several months it will begin fading and that after several years you will get back to your baseline tinnitus. If you don't experience any fading or changes in pitch during the first four months, then at that time it might make sense to think that you are stuck with the sound you are hearing now.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      So one question that I do have... If you’ve got tinnitus from noise trauma that’s lasted longer than a few weeks, does that mean the hairs in the ear are in fact damaged and all you can hope for is habituation? That’s there’s no chance of the ear healing itself?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Many people experience fading (a decrease in volume combined with a switch from a high pitch tone to a soft hiss) to the point of "hearing it only in quiet rooms". The fading begins 2-4 months after the onset and can last 2-3 years.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chronism

chronism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Are you saying that the fading process usually last 2-3 years or after than the loudness sometimes returns?

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am saying that it could take 2-3 years to get silence (I can remember only two posts over the past three years where people claimed that their tinnitus was completely gone) or to reach the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage. Ears take forever to heal and the more tinnitus fades the slower it seems to be fading. Of course it could take less time than that. Also some people have their tinnitus relentlessly at the same level, and so theirs never fades.

If you are successful in not being exposed to loud noises (this includes the noise of MRI machines) and if you are able to avoid taking ototoxic medications (this includes many antibiotics and all painkillers except Tylenol) you ought to be able to stay at the "can hear only in quiet rooms" stage indefinitely.

I don't have a medical background, but I have a good memory and I have been reading this forum over the past three years.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Lyris

Lyris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry to hear this. It does seem that the longer you're around the very loud noise, the more it can hurt your ears. However, since it was only a couple minutes I hope by this point your symptoms have at least gotten more manageable. I have seen some stories about working with heavy machinery and equipment causing tinnitus, but I assume after months to years of being on the job. Truly wish you all the best.