Mobile Tinnitus Apps (for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I just noticed that the app is exactly like "tinnitus relief", just a different name xD

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Does it have the exact same sounds? I downloaded six different apps, each had cricket but every one sounded different. Even pink noise and white noise seems to vary by all.

I think most sound apps have similar features, it’s likely trial and error to find the sound you want.

3. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      They are identical xD

Another thing, how can I measure my tinnitus? I want to know where I'm at exactly.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What do you mean measure your T? Check the frequency or volume? Some members try it with matching apps, but some complain that seems to agitate their T. An audiologist would likely be the best resource for T matching.

What do hope to achieve by measuring your T? I have never bothered to have mine matched because I’m unsure how it would help. I know mine is very high pitch and that I can hear it over everything - even the shower - and it reacts by ringing louder to noises. Matching it would likely only add to my anxiety.

5. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I don't know honestly what I'm looking to accomplish by measuring it. It's just that I'm used to my mild tinnitus that never bothered me, only at mornings sometimes. Now I got this piercing high pitched sound that seems to penetrate through everything...like literally from nowhere. My T situation looked quite good and I would go so far as to say that I reached 100% habituation, until this setback that is.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Hopefully it will settle back down. Many things can cause it to fluctuate.

7. Ginadz
      Loved

Ginadz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I downloaded on my phone a free app. Huge variety of sounds to block the buzzing/ringing in your ears. I used it last night and this morning. Huge help. App is called Relax Melodies and not limited to just melodies.

8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I love exploring different music therapies.

9. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      A friend of mine recommended an app called Tinnitus Measure if you want to measure your T's frequency and such, but it seems only available to iPhone. Does anyone know if there's a similar one for Android? I've searched a little, but have yet to find one that seems good.

10. dakotafred
      Depressed

dakotafred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Anyone try using the Tinnitus Notched Tunes app for an extended period of time?

Any luck reducing your tinnitus with it?

11. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      I haven’t used the app but next month I’ll be getting new Signia hearing aids that have “notch therapy” integrated into them. It will take my audiologist a little time to correctly program the frequency in....something I wasn’t to sure I could correctly do myself in the app. I’ll post how it goes after receiving them

12. zerosandones

zerosandones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Propylene Glycol from a Vape Pen
      I'm a software engineer and started having tinnitus about 3 weeks ago. Starting to habituate now but was definitely in a pretty dark hole the first two weeks and would like to do whatever I can to help others.

Wondering if there are any standout tinnitus apps or software people have used that I might contribute to, or alternately, if there's some feature or approach that's missing in the marketplace that I might develop.

Note: there seems to be a lot of maskers / sound therapy apps out there, so if possible I'd like to focus on something else. But if it's helped you (and especially if the app seems like it needs some love), I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for the feedback -- hope everyone out there's doing well.

13. nicole76
      Depressed

nicole76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/17 / Worsened 04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One-Sided Hearing Loss (of unknown origin)
      I've been enjoying keeping the window open at night to listen to the frogs and crickets as that is the most calming sound for me to sleep with. Fans and white noise aggravate my tinnitus these days unlike when I first got it. Unfortunately some days it's too hot outside to do this and I have to turn the air condition on which I hate. The sound is too high pitched.

It's been really difficult finding an app that recreates the open window experience and doesn't require a subscription fee just to access the more popular sounds. I downloaded over twenty apps looking for the right one and stumbled upon Calm Sounds. Not only does it have a ton of great sounds but you can create a custom mix of sounds to your liking. It really helped me get some sleep last night. Best of all, it's free! Maybe it will help someone else.

Calm Sounds by FunBerry
      https://apps.apple.com/us/app/calm-sounds/id1449240369

14. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly hearing loss/acoustic damage, unknown
      I know this is a bit of a contentious subject, especially given the new efforts with bimodal neuromodulation, but I am wondering if anybody has used this low-cost app, Tonal Tinnitus Therapy, for the recommended period of time (I believe that's 4 hours a day), or tried it (or similar apps or programs) during sleep or in other formats.

I had it on via Bluetooth while driving for a good period of time, but only have done this once. But I found this is an easy way to distract and just having it play, vs say having just the app going. It actually seemed to reduce or help habituate for a period of time, but sometimes the white sound of the road helps also.

Curious about others' (hopefully positive) experience with other apps that are free/low-cost and based in science at least to a degree. I'm looking into some of the expensive neuromodulation options via a hearing center at UNC Greensboro and feel it would be my duty to at least try what's available out there that is based in the same science.

15. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      Wow.

The TinnitusPlay app for iPhone stays on in the background even when I have YouTube playing music in the background also.

But I pay YouTube 15 bucks a month for no ads and also for some other features I use -
      One of which might be that it stays on in the background even when using other apps.

Perfect.
      Super cool to be able to use both simultaneously.