MRI After an ENT Appointment

Discussion in 'Support' started by finlayargyle13, Apr 22, 2015.

1. finlayargyle13

finlayargyle13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea!
      Had my ENT appt. Hearing test showed some hearing loss on left side (T side). Tympanometry was fine (I think).

Have an appt to be fitted with a masking device. Being sent for an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma.

Must admit I'm pretty freaked out. Everything I've ever read about my symptoms pointed to AN, and I hoped ENT was going to tell me otherwise. I know they are very rare but I'm still very nervous. Could be months before MRI (Nhs).

At least if it's nothing, I'm hoping the masker helps.

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      No need to be freaked out, you get an MRI because your doctor plays it safe (that's a good thing in this case) and you get some peace of mind afterwards.
      We've all been there, the AN is a pretty far fetched scenario.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. MrT

MrT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Agree with the above poster. The chances of an AN are very very unlikely, and even on the extremely off chance that it's present from what I'm aware most cases are benign. On top of that even in most cases where it's not benign for the vast majority, the surgery for removal is quite safe. So taking all those things into consideration, you should really not worry.

• Like Like x 1
    4. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      No honey, nothing to worry about. Because the origin of T is so hard to find, doctors use to apply some analysys like MRI, not because they think you have AN, but because they dont find the causea and just want to ruleout other illness. Ive been there.

• Like Like x 1
    5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      I think alot of T sufferes have AN like symptoms. I do.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Samoo

Samoo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      going through this right now. MRI appointment is next Wednesday, results will be in 2 days, hoping that they can make it during Friday so I do not need to wait whole weekend..

we just need to not worry too much and don't panic

• Like Like x 1
    7. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You're going through exactly what I went through. I also thought everything pointed to an AN. Had an Mri on NHS. Didn't have an AN!.
      THEY ARE REALLY RARE.
      When I told my ENT dude my worries. He just told me, its very unlikely I have an AN, and even if I have, its not the end of the world. Most of the time they monoter them rather than operate as they rarely cause a problem.
      I'm sure you haven't got a AN, and if you have, it won't kill you!
      Get your MRI, worrying won't change a thing, get the all clear, and chill.

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      finlayargyle13

finlayargyle13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea!
      Thanks everyone. I know the chances are really remote. Hope I'm not waiting too long.

Did any one else get a 'reason ' for unilateral tinnitus or is it unknown? ?

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have unilateral tinnitus. And no you don't get an answer. They really don't know much about tinnitus. So you rarely get a solid answer.

• Like Like x 1
    10. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      I had an MRI and got the results immediately. All they said is ''great news - everything is normal'' and that was it. No discussion on what or how to deal with the T - but no tumours so guess that is peace of mind if there is any after getting this awful ailment.