Music Therapy Doesn't Suppress Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Oct 30, 2012.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      And in some cases even worsens it. What is interesting in this study is they matched clinical diagnostic and EEG. They examined people with hearing loss and tinnitus. Unfortunately i just have the abstract and i don't even know the sample size. The measuring of tinnitus loudness by EEG matches their clinical diagnostics.

Some big names of tinnitus research here: Arnaud Norena and Dirk De Ridder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23104014

2. Meecat

Meecat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Twenty-six tinnitus patients (17 males, 9 females) participated in this experiment at the multidisciplinary TRI tinnitus clinic of the Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium

I don't know how to pm, but i don't want to post the paper up here (copyright stuff i guess)

3. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Another interesting find Daedalus,

it's interesting as I think if you ask most long term sufferers about whether music suppresses their Tinnitus they would answer no. It actually makes mines worse if I listen to something too long. One of the worst things about getting this horrific condition was how it affected my enjoyment of music.

I remember also reading about a DJ who said that whenever he played a gig his tinnitus was usually louder afterwards despite wearing ear plugs.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      26 seems a bit low as a sample. Especially with three groups. I was a bit suprised by their findings because it is against the phantom limb pain model logic.

Me too i don't know how to pm here. However i can still be messaged on the other forum.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This proves to be true in my own-self controlled study of one (me). I tried noise therapy, classical music therapy, notched music therapy, tones, etc with no real improvement on my T.

6. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      There goes majority of proposed treatments for tinnitus.

On a side note, I feel sorry for the people who have participated in this study and had their tinnitus worsen.