Musicians, Let's Talk Hearing Loss and Audiograms

Discussion in 'Support' started by Benjaminbb, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey guys.

I am interested to hear where everyone’s ears are at as they get older. I’ve recently started to ask around musician friends but not many have had a test or willing to divulge.

As a person who’s worn earplugs every time I have gone out since age 20, I expected to have close to no hearing loss. I thought earplugs gave me unlimited chances to be near noise (mainly mid level stuff like bars) as I rarely hear high frequency sound as loud as 100 dB. I guess unfortunately earplugs only do so much and I have a mild hearing loss. That said, I did used to go out 2-3 times a week to bars or house parties, even when I wasn’t working. Nothing too crazy.

I’ve done music since I was about 15. I’m now 35. Measured no hearing loss in 2008 aged 21. Now at age 35 measure 20-25 dB notch at 4-6 kHz. Which seems to be common for those in music at our age.

It feels relatively minor and am wondering how common it is for us musicians. If it wasn’t for my hyperacusis and low hum, I wouldn’t mind or be so protective.

My friend who was a complete rock and roller, turns everything up. He has been in heavy rock bands for the same time, never wore earplugs and probably played 3x more live gigs has the exact same hearing loss of 20-30 dB.

I know our bodies all react differently but to see us line up was surprising.

Musicians are often too embarrassed to talk about the topic or share as they fear not getting work.

I figure this is a place we can be honest anonymously. How are you all looking and how did you treat your ears?

Thanks guys.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      Hey Benjamin, great thread idea.

I just turned 34. My hearing loss is unilateral and measures 25 dB at 6 kHz in my right ear. Some homemade testing on my end hints at a slightly deeper loss at 5 kHz, which is not a frequency measured in regular audiometric testing. I'm fairly sure my loss coincides with the emergence of my persistent tinnitus and hyperacusis, which began this year. If it wasn't for this unilateral notched loss, my hearing would be considered in good shape for my age. An extended hearing test shows a response at <20 dB all the way up to 20 kHz in both ears.

I've been going to concerts since my teens, and to clubs and raves since my mid-twenties. I was not very careful regarding earplugs in those situations unfortunately: I was simply not aware/mindful of the risks. I have been producing music for the last 6 years, and my hunch tells me that long sessions with headphones also probably contributed to my hearing problems. I have a home studio setup with monitors, but would often just grab my MPC or a synth and play with it on the couch with headphones out of laziness/convenience. I also clearly remember an evening last March where I was testing a hardware compressor on some drums and quickly checked it out on my headphones. The sound was very loud and sharp, and I remember it being painful. I keep thinking that event might have been the initial trauma that started my problems, although I'll never be sure. The headphones part could explain the unilateral dimension to my damage. I've also suffered a few concussions over the years which might have made my right ear more fragile.

I haven't returned to making music since the onset of my persistent tinnitus and hyperacusis in June. I miss it terribly, but at the same time a part of me is afraid to get back to the studio. I'm afraid of worsening my symptoms. I'm also terrified of coming to the realization that music is ruined for me because of my hearing damage, which would be heartbreaking as it has been the one constant love in my life. So for the time being I'm hoping to heal as much as I can, and to return to music making at low volume when I am more at peace with my condition. I have to say life feels very empty without music making.

I have a few friends in the music community who have opened up to me about their hearing problems. One is a fellow music producer from my city who suffers from hyperacusis but does not have any measurable hearing loss. Another is a friend from abroad who struggles with mild hyperacusis but very intrusive tinnitus from years of concerts and clubbing. Some other friends from my local music scene have also mentioned experiencing tinnitus, but none of them appear to be bothered by it. They still regularly go out to loud events without earplugs. Most of these friends are younger than me though, still in their 20s.
      Does your rocker friend struggle with tinnitus/hyperacusis/other symptoms from his hearing loss?

3. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      Guitar player for close to 35 years playing in very loud rock bands.

I have a pretty significant loss at 4 kHz and 8 kHz in my left ear which is the one that is always right next to the drummer. The cymbals blasting in that ear have really taken a toll. Right ear is perfect.

I suspect I have even more of a loss at higher frequencies but for some strange reason, audiologists only test to 8 kHz.

My tinnitus tone is about 10.5 kHz to 11 kHz on any given day. With a tone generator I can hear up to about 15 kHz with both ears but I hear those frequencies much better with my right ear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My friend and nearly all my music friends have no symptoms. That’s why it’s been hard for me, especially me being one of the only ones that has ALWAYS protected. That friend also never noticed his hearing loss and was informed by an audiologist his hearing is fine for his age and profession.

Some others have mild tinnitus or hearing loss but again weren’t aware of the hearing loss til the test.

Hyperacusis seems to be the killer. Some mild hearing loss and mild tinnitus seems to not bother most people until they’re hyper aware of it.

Thanks for the information.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the information. How significant of a dip?

One of my ears struggles with anything above 12 kHz. So you both seem to be doing good in that range. Not many people over 40 hear past 15 kHz. Can’t believe @CRGC hears right up to 20 kHz under 20 dB. That’s almost unheard of above 25 haha.

6. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      I was suprised myself when I got my EHF audiogram results! I’m self taught as a producer and only do it as a hobby but my friends used to say I had a good ear for mixing. Too bad I screwed it up. Might be one of the reasons I notice my notch so much. Everything else is still there on the right ear, just got that damn hole at 6 kHz... and tinnitus + hyperacusis.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      I'll have to look it up but I think it was around 20 dB.