MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      @Barry Bacon thanks very much for posting this encouraging info. Welcome to TT and the best of luck with your treatment. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be watching this thread closely for your future updates. :)

2. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012

http://retractionwatch.com/

3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      So there is a selection criteria even for this device?
      Wonder how's this gonna work for us on other continents.

4. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      What lots of people overlook is that these "academics" often double as clinicians and have detailed inside information into the industry they work in. An ENT is well aware of future drug/device trials for specific disorders and can organize his investment portfolio based on this information, not dissimilar to a solicitor who has access information/plans to build a commercial outlet in advance of the general public and decides to purchase land nearby, this story is as old as time. Companies like Siemens have invested large amounts of money into cochlear devices/hearing aids/r&d and work alongside otolaryngologists all over the world, I just don't see how that helps us long-term, if like I do you wish to see cellular repair attempted within the labyrinth. There are people who are serious about this and there are those that are not. Just to point out to those that might not be aware, the Hermitage medical centre is not a public hospital, the clinicians who work there are earning far more money than you may realise, indeed it would dwarf that of their peers in Harley Street, indeed one of them is directly involved with the trial of this device, directly "financially" involved that is.

5. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Now you probably can't really judge this way, but those two dudes in the picture sure don't look like people I'd feel confident buying a used car from. Maybe a tinnitus treatment is different... :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. BILLYM

BILLYM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1993
      I have looked through the Forums and I can not find ANYONE who has tried this and can report if it worked for them or not WHY ??????

8. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      Because mutebutton is relatively new and you can only get it in Ireland.

9. Barry Bacon
      Batty

Barry Bacon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      As promised on my previous posting I would keep providing updates on the use of MuteButton. Well 3 weeks in and I would have to say that I am still getting bad days. However the number of good days seems to be improving. As per my previous post the quality of my sleep has been greatly improved by its use and that has continued.

The biggest question is whether the reduction in volume is apparent. I think this is to early to say but signs are promising. I will post again in a couple of weeks or if there is a significant change.

• Like Like x 7
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Soundman

Soundman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sounds good Barry after only three weeks. Really hope it continues to impact positively on you over the coming weeks and months.

11. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I have heard from another clinic that it seems to be 50 50 for sufferers (although i could not obtain details on whether louder or softer t was most affected) They are offering rebates of 66 percent on those not satisfied. Its a fair offer.

12. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      This is the gentlemen on the left
      Tinnitus Awareness Week - Irish Radio Short - 2013

13. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
    14. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Advancing the next generation of tinnitus treatment.
      Building on positive clinical outcomes and patient experiences, in September 2015 we secured significant investment from the international life sciences venture capital fund Fountain Healthcare Partners. This investment will be used to further enhance the scientific and clinical understanding of bi-modal neuromodulation for treating chronic tinnitus, commence US clinical trials and to promote the adoption of mutebutton as a next generation treatment for chronic tinnitus. The ultimate goal is the international launch of the product in 2018.
      https://www.mutebutton.ie/

They start talking about another generation, while the current has not proven its effectiveness.

15. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How are you doing Barry? Any further news on mute button?

16. Carlos Galiano

Carlos Galiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Mute Button failed. All failed.

17. Soundman

Soundman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Have you tried it Carlos?

18. Carlos Galiano

Carlos Galiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Obviously not. But check the company statement Mute Button on their website. Currently there is no longer sold. He has been suspended. This clear. It has failed. 5 people I know who have used it. A none has served. Mute Button, a device that was investigated for 10 years with the best professionals has not been effective. It is demoralizing. We must be objective.

Now they say it again in 2018 to sell more sophisticated. ..... Sure sure if ...

This only proves what we already many of us have been pointing out. Tinnitus is a very difficult condition to address clinically involves many networks and connections. It is almost impossible to attack effectively.

I use google translate. Sorry if I make mistakes.

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well it seems they were at least able to "sell" the potential promise of their device to some VC for a cool €5.5M.

Neuromod Announces €5.5 million in Financing to Advance Neuromodulation Based Medical Device to Treat Chronic Tinnitus

Remains to be seen what comes out of it (here I'm not too hopeful, it was very disheartening they never properly published the clinical trial results... but we'll see how it goes).

[thanks to @attheedgeofscience for pointing me out to the said PR news]

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bazz

Bazz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      God i'm suprised that they took it off market. Imagine putting out €2500 for that and it didn't work :O

21. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I never believed in these neurostimulation sound devices. Soundcure, Neuromonics, Mutebutton etc - all worthless in my opinion. Retraining the brain with sound has never really been proven effective except by those device companies who fund the studies.

These types of devices have around for years, no real studies, no real results, too pricy. Most people I think that benefitted from them would have gotten same result from mp3 player with sounds over the same amount of time or by doing nothing and letting time pass. Most of us who have had T a while know and understand this.

• Agree Agree x 6
    22. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      More millions down the drain....

23. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Any more updates from users?

24. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The mute button treatment has ceased for now. It obviously didn't work. Another failure to join the Autifony drug failure. One day, one day, some one will do it. Keep hoping.

25. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I dont think you can just wash away the brain training, they can repair the ear the brain will still need to rewire to the peripheral organ. I think its both that will form a cure, cellular repair and pathway restoration/rewiring in the auditory cortex.

26. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I see your point @jeff W. The brain is complex. The best minds barely understand it. I believe that the brain can rewire itself, I just don't believe we can force it to with any type of sound device. The only real evidence that this even works (and there is plenty of studies that show 80% effectiveness) are studies funded by the companies that make and sell these devices.

I had terribly hyperacusis at the start of my T. I believe over time, my brain adjusted and rewired itself to lessen the effects. I listened to pink and white noise a little (the protocol for H) but I don't believe it helped to repair my brain. I know my brain did that regardless.

My father had bypass surgery for the 2nd time in his life a few years ago. He had a main artery in his heart almost 100% blocked. The surgeon told us that it had been that way for years and what save him from a massive heart attack was that his body was able to compensate for this by automatically creating new veins around the blocked artery to bypass it and allow blood to. This is amazing! I believe our body and brains can adapt and rewire.

I have yet to see real world evidence that these work. There are some people that say these devices helped, but many more who say save your hard earned money. These devices have been out for quite a number of years now and if they were that good, we would all be using them (or had used them) to rewire our brains.

I think we need to do anything necessary to get over the hump, especially at the onset of tinnitus. If one of these devices helps so be it. I used my phone with sounds, music and audiobooks for many weeks. It did help me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Marcuseva03

Marcuseva03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      If this mute button doesnt work at all, Why will they say based on promising clinical outcome and paitent experiences in sep 2015?

And managing to sercure a huge sum of investment. Whether it truly work or not i guess it will still be good that money is being invested in and that companies have not given up on finding a treatment for tinnitus. So 2018 we shall see. Lol!

They may have taken down the product to improve it before selling them again?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      From Mutebutton:

Dear Brian,
      Many thanks for contacting us, we appreciate your support. At the moment we are not taking on any new patients for mutebutton. If you wished to register your interest in participating in future clinical trials you may do so via our website http://www.mutebutton.ie/

We are pausing sales of mutebutton until further notice. The reason being that we are dedicating most of our resources into preparing the mutebutton technology for a global launch. Results from our study are soon to be published in a peer reviewed journal.

Kind Regards
      Mutebutton Customer Service Team

29. Marcuseva03

Marcuseva03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      @briano that good news isnt it. oh well, at least they are doing something. whether it works for different individuals is basically base on their own cause for their onset of tinnitus i guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Samzen

Samzen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012