My Hearing Has Improved Since My Acoustic Event

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul201, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Since I blasted my ears with a sub-woofer late November I gave myself t and it continues today. I also noticed I lost some sharpness in my hearing, not any fullness or deafness like some report, just really a lack of clarity in certain situations, like trying to distinguish the source of a sound and in some cases I needed to ask people to repeat themselves in conversation. I just believed it was the whining/interference that I was hearing that was causing this. But it seems I was wrong.

Just this week, 7 weeks after the event, this sharpness I was missing has come back to my ears. Its very noticeable, especially in the mornings. Before it came back, I really had no clue who was moving around the house earlier than me, what room they were in, what door just opened, even though I heard the door open etc but this week I have it back. Soft sounds like the rustling of sheets, opening deodorant etc have also come back to what they were. (or close to)

From what I have read online, this temporary change in hearing needs to come back earlier than 7 weeks or else it may be some type of permanent shift but this is not the case with me. Im delighted to get this clarity back but unfortunately it has had no real effect on my t it seems. Sometimes I think its getting better and sometimes worse.

Anyone else have this type of experience? Im wondering what the mechanics are behind it? If hair cells get damaged by excessive sound and cant repair then it doesn't make sense this has returned to me.

Or it simply the hair cells are still damaged but not enough of them to make my hearing change permanent and so my auditory system has adjusted somehow

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Scratch that. I normally wouldn't like to respond to my own threads but i had to go to a certain shop over the weekend and that involved walking through a very busy indoor shopping centre. This would have been the loudest sceanario i would have been exposed to since my t started.

I figured, its only 5 or so mins to get there and back. When i got in there, i remember thinking, wow this is pretty loud, but no worries it will surely have no effect, im getting slightly better, i think. Well, that was wrong. That clarity i was taking about is now not there, my t spiked about 50% and has not fully gone back to what it was before and i now have a slightly different tone in my left ear.

I already suspected i had some type of reactive t but now im sure! Ridiculous, Not Happy

It got me thinking a bit. Since i still see myself in some type of recovery stage and like to think my ears are doing a bit of healing (even though hairs and nerves dont heal :p) but something can adjust it seems for some but these little t spikes worry me somewhat. Since the general idea is that for example, healthy ears are generally not supposed to ring and ringing is a sign that something has been disrupted somewhat in the ear, but yet since my t onset i have given myself quite a few of these t spikes or ringing events, swimming, loud part in tv drama, kitchen accident, shopping centre etc.

Is this setting back whatever adjustment that can occur in the ear or are these little t spikes likely to have no longterm impact on the outcome of my t? I know this may be a difficult question to answer but i do wonder if ears were wrapped in cotton wool a bit more would it help facilitate their adjustment better. This is obviously not possible for most of us, bills, family, life etc means we need to get out there. I cant see how it would, i would ask an ent that if i ever get to see one.