My Journey to Find Out What Caused My Sudden Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fire Hydrant, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Fire Hydrant

Fire Hydrant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello guys this is my first post here. I developed mild Tinnitus in my right ear I'd say May 2016, maybe April not sure. It sounds kind of like speaker buzzing, and I usually don't hear it unless there is low noise. It's not too horrible, but it'd be nice if I could figure out what caused it. I am 24. I will periodically update this thread with any progress.

When it began

I first developed T shortly after having an earwax avalanche in my right ear. During the time between the avalanche and the T's development, I went to the doctors for ear infections, but he could only confirm the left ear because the right ear was blocked, he prescribed me mineral oil for ear wax removal, and a steroid to fight the infection. I used both, and a few days later the T in my right ear developed. Both ears are clean of their wax, both are not infected at the moment, and my hearing test at my university turned out great. I noticed my right ear popped a bit more, and frequently felt like air was moving through it or felt full. Both ears felt pain as if infected, despite no signs of infection. So I suspected it could be Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I was due to have my tonsils and adenoids removed soon so I figured that could help.

Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy

I had the surgeries as well as Septoplasty to fix my deviated septum. It's been a week since the surgery and I still have it, heck if anything for a while I was having it in both ears. This could be from swelling, if the adenoids were blocking the tubes it's possible it needs more time. I am also taking Sudafed now, to hopefully reduce any swelling. I'm going to wait for me to fully recover before I try to get my Eustachian tubes looked at. If the T resolves itself I will be sure to update this thread, hopefully this can be helpful to others who are also trying to figure out what caused their Tinnitus.