My Odd Case of Tinnitus — I Started Hearing It After Someone Mentioned They Have It

Discussion in 'Support' started by SunshineSoul, Apr 30, 2022.

1. SunshineSoul

SunshineSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heard a relative has it and felt I do too
      Hey everyone,

Postcard version (hah)... a little over a month ago, my uncle was speaking with my dad over speaker phone and I heard him say he has tinnitus, explaining what it is and how terribly bothersome it is for him. It was RIGHT as I was exiting the door to enter my car. Needless to say, when you enter a car (doors/windows shut, quiet area) it’s silent. And... I heard it. It’s not a ringing like most of you describe. It’s a faint “staticky” sound. Louder the more I focus on it.

Would have never known I had tinnitus had I not heard my uncle speak of his case, as it doesn’t find me. I have to go searching for the sound, and can only hear it in a quiet room. But when I do... it’s there. Not prominent at all though. I only hear it while sleeping (or if I have earplugs in) or oddly enough, in the car especially when the windows are rolled up and it’s quiet. Otherwise, 95% of my day, I don’t hear it. But as someone who has had OCD, and anxiety virtually all my life- it’s been debilitating in that it almost recalibrated my already anxiety prone brain to *search* for a sound. And when I do... I can find something.

I’m wondering if I took on someone else’s “thing” (my uncle’s) or I likely have a mild case of tinnitus, but would greatly appreciate all of your feedback either way. I’m in my mid 30s, recently lost my mom, grandma, and dog, so it’s been an incredibly tough period, to put it gently. Is this just a case of me being in my own way (and too much in my own head)?

Thanks in advance everyone:puppykisses:

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Honestly just take care or your ears. Wear hearing protection in places you know you should. You have a very common type of tinnitus, my girlfriend has this and only notices it when I bring my debilitating tinnitus up. Stay away from ototoxic drugs if you can and take care of yourself. Get lost in things you like to do and you’ll soon notice that you’ll notice it less and less I promise.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      What the guy above said. Perfect

4. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Also, try not to wear headphones. If you do end up wearing them, use them at a safe reasonable level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. SonOfUhtred
      Confused

SonOfUhtred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud lifestyle
      Funny you say that, I often speak with both my uncle and cousin and whenever the subject of tinnitus comes up, they contact me shortly after to say they now have ringing in their ears. Before my tinnitus worsening, I used to be able to tune in if I wanted to and then tune out again. It just shows how the brain can tune it out and how many people out there have tinnitus but don't even realise it. Of course, there are other cases, such as many on here, where the tinnitus is horrific but that is a different ball game.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SunshineSoul

SunshineSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heard a relative has it and felt I do too
      So true. My takeaway from perusing these tinnitus forums is that there should be many different branches of tinnitus, if some should even be called that. So many different types, some barely correlated, all with the same blanket label. For example, your cousin/uncle, Marshall’s girlfriend and me are far different from those of you who can’t escape it.

My thinking is, in the early stages, for those who have very mild cases like mine, if you don’t give life to it - it can take such a backseat in your brain that it suddenly goes away. That’s where I hope to be. Not easy.

Can you pinpoint how your tinnitus got worse? Did you become reckless in any capacity over the years?

7. SonOfUhtred
      Confused

SonOfUhtred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud lifestyle
      I’ve had tinnitus for a good 15/20 years. Never bothered me really. When I think of how I continued to abuse my ears with loud music I could slap myself (I don’t in case I spike lol). I didn’t realise how much worse it could get. Then one big loud exposure lasting less than 5 seconds 2 years ago burst the bubble and it’s been worse ever since. I know it could probably still get worse so every day is lived with precaution, made a lot worse when you have kids! I think as long as you are sensible, which you seem to be, and protect your ears when necessary, you will be fine. Don’t obsess over it and just enjoy life :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      The mere discussion of tinnitus can cause tinnitus. That’s how powerful our brains and the mind-body connection are. As sufferers we need to harness the potential to go the other way.

George

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I could slap myself but it might cause a spike, that is really funny!

George

10. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      I've found that a lot of people have at least a very mild case of tinnitus. It's so mild that they have completely habituated and don't even notice it until someone mentions it or they deliberately try to listen for it.

Mine was like that until a few months ago when I had two back to back acoustic traumas of very loud noises including a boating air horn going off 2 feet from my left ear. Since then it has spiked and the level is now intermittent. Sometimes it's just a mild whistle that I can more or less tune out, other times it's like a tea kettle going off right next to my ear. I can't seem to pinpoint anything that causes the loud spikes.

The last two days have been a tea kettle. Especially about 10 minutes after I wake up in the morning. Today has been non stop tea kettle. Clonazepam helps a little but I don't like taking it more than twice a week spaced out by at least 2 days between doses. Took one yesterday so won't be taking another until tomorrow.