Nasty Tinnitus Due to GERD

Discussion in 'Support' started by gthompson333, May 19, 2014.

1. gthompson333

gthompson333 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I had nasty tinnitus, primarily in my right ear, before I finally figured out the cause.

My acid reflux was creeping up into my right ear tube. That is, the tube that connects the ear canal to the throat.

I doubled down on the Prilosec. Instead of one pill a day, I went to twice a day. Within a day of doing that, the tinnitus went away.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'4", 200 lbs, so I'm guessing the average dose isn't quite enough for me.

None the less, I've read, long term use of Prilosec, has other side effects. Primarily having to do with bone density. I've been trying to get off the purple pill for years, but every time I get down to less than one a day, the acid creeps back. Therefore, I'm going to double down for only a week, then try to get back to one a day. Now that I know what causes the tinnitus, I suppose I'll just have to double down when necessary. The lesser of two evils, I suppose.

For all of you tinnitus sufferers, I hope this helps some of you out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Interesting. GERD and especially the 'silent GERD' can cause all sorts of problems including sinus problems. How long did you have tinnitus?

3. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      How did you figure it out that the tin it us was was from GERD? I also have it and was taking Previcid for it, backed off and stomach issues are worse and so is my T.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gthompson333

gthompson333 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Dag nab it. The Tinnitus came back, after a couple of days.

I read that tinnitus has a component that is psychological. I'm guessing, the Prilozec had a placebo effect, and in my mind, it was helping.

So now, I'm off the Prilozec. Yaaaay! A few Tums a day, seems to be keeping the GERD under control. In addition, I get bone strength, instead of weakness.

I'm trying to control the tinnitus, by mind control, alone. That is, I've decided to ignore it, and get on with my life. I have to say, I believe it is working. I've had a couple of days now, where late in the day, I found myself in a quiet environment, heard the tinnitus, and said to myself "Oh. I forgot all about the ringing. Interesting.". Then, I just continued on my way.

5. Winterheart
      Breezy

Winterheart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Check out stretta thearpy. It can cure gerds and if T is comnected then all the better

• Like Like x 1