Need Advice on Co-Sleeping & Benadryl

zombiechick

Author
Mar 16, 2016
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Medication and hearing loss
While I was pregnant I noticed that when I took benadryl to sleep my tinnitus would seem to quiet down the following day.

I've been wanting to take some with my recent spike to see if it would have the same results.

But my son still sleeps with us. He is bigger (not an infant) over 20 pounds and hes year old.

Would this be okay with him in the bed? Taking the benadryl?

My husband thinks it's a non issue and I should take it. Any thoughts or advice welcome! Thank you!

Hm... maybe it'd be a better idea to ask about this on a maternity forum. Not sure how useful we're going to be on this...

@zombiechick
I personally think at that age, it's not a huge risk.
I have slept with my kids and I take 7.5mg of Mirtazapine.
I find my sleep is a lot more disturbed when sleeping with my kids though.... somehow they end up horizontal on the bed and I'm right on the edge!
So I don't co-sleep on a regular basis, only when they are unsettled or wake during the night and can't get back to sleep.

I find my sleep is a lot more disturbed when sleeping with my kids though.... somehow they end up horizontal on the bed and I'm right on the edge!
So I don't co-sleep on a regular basis, only when they are unsettled or wake during the night and can't get back to sleep.
I find the same thing, too. I do not get a lot of deep sleep with them because I am continually aware of them. We rarely co-sleep now, but I still often sleep lighter than my husband because I subconsciously cannot help listening for them.

Is there somewhere else you could sleep? Maybe try Benadryl one night while sleeping somewhere else in your home. Not because I think it's unsafe for your son, but because it might help you.

@Samantha R and @Tinker Bell thank you for your thoughts and experiences. I would try sleeping on the couch @Tinker Bell but my son will wake up and freak out if I leave the bed. I'm not doing good anxiety wise. A couple of nights I've been woken up from my tinnitus spiking super loud. It goes down but scares the crap out of me and the next day I am super anxious and depressed. This has been a really hard week and a half. It's kind of loud right now and I hope I can fall asleep tonight. And i hope it isn't super intrusive tomorrow. My nerves are frayed.

@Samantha R and @Tinker Bell thank you for your thoughts and experiences. I would try sleeping on the couch @Tinker Bell but my son will wake up and freak out if I leave the bed. I'm not doing good anxiety wise. A couple of nights I've been woken up from my tinnitus spiking super loud. It goes down but scares the crap out of me and the next day I am super anxious and depressed. This has been a really hard week and a half. It's kind of loud right now and I hope I can fall asleep tonight. And i hope it isn't super intrusive tomorrow. My nerves are frayed.
Poor sweet little guy. I remember my kids doing that when they were toddlers, too.

And nighttime spikes . . . I hate them. I can have an okay day and for no apparent reason wake up at 3am to my tinnitus so loud that I can't hear anything else. Even if it's back to its normal volume the next morning, I spend the day worrying -- which probably doesn't help me. I feel like it's a vicious cycle.

I know you mentioned hoping to get pregnant again and concerns about antidepressants. Have you talked to your OB? There are some medications that are safe.

Wish I had some good advice, but I am struggling through all of this too. Just know that you're a good mom and you're not alone.

@Tinker Bell I'm sorry it's happening for you too. It's the worst way to wake up. I immediately panic and wake my spouse up. He tries to talk me down. Takes every ounce of restraint not to run out of the bed. It goes down but I wish it would not happen at all. My son is a needy little guy and he only wants me which is hard when you're battling tinnitus. I have no health insurance but hope to find a way to talk to someone soon. I really appreciate the support.

@zombiechick
So it's been awhile since your last post lalalaaa
Benedryl … if you move around a lot sleeping and still share your bed with your son …mmmmm No. don't want to squish him etc.
Otherwise sure, it helps most people get to sleep.
'most' not me. I just use it for allergy control lol like a couple or mor every two hours just to stop runny nose!

Off topic (I'm new) the Targus piercing, have done that and has it helped?

Thankee ands much loves
Sarah

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now