Need Quick Advice — Ibuprofen and Ototoxicity

Discussion in 'Support' started by chef, Sep 2, 2017.

1. chef

chef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, most likely stress or ssri, xanax med, alcohol
      ok, so long story... have many aches and pains.

Thought I pulled a couple muscles, but keep waking up with more issues, new areas of pain. Have dealt with for several months, and several Drs.

Have been given several muscle relaxers, flexeril and methocarbamol, a couple of steroid packs, naproxen, and tylenol.

Naproxen maybe influenced my tinnitus on the days I took them, but everything else didn't really affect it.

I have taken ibuprofen before thinking it was nothing, after several days of taking it my tinnitus spiked. Don't know it it was because of that or not.

So, new Dr, prescribed me 800 mg ibuprofen. Today I woke up in much pain, thinking of taking it.

Need a few other people to chime in on their thoughts please. My tinnitus hasn't been much of a bother in a while, I would rather not put a tinnitus spike on my list of current issues.

I do understand the placebo affect well though, if you take something expecting it to influence you, then sit and focus on it... what do you expect, but it to influence it.

Thanks everyone.

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      What you're experiencing could be very real and not just a placebo effect. Ibuprofen is considered mildly ototoxic but the risk of ototoxicity increases significantly with larger doses and prolonged use.

I'm no expert but I believe 800 mg per day is a moderate dose. Athough it can probably still have an effect on T after several days of use. Especially if you're taking other medications that might be slightly ototoxic too.

Is 800 mg your daily dose? Or do you take 800 mg several times a day?