Need Suggestions for a Medication to Help Me Deal with Tinnitus Better. Have Appt. with Dr. Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jun 24, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, so I have hearing aids, been taking Klonopin for years and Lamictal for the past 6 months.

The downside though is I think I have bipolar II because I had depression waves before T and after T.

I felt really messed up on SSRI's. Klonopin and Lamictal have not made me feel terrible and I have actually had normal emotions which is cool.

The problem though is that when the T gets louder or I am feeling just a little "down" (which would be normal for most people I think) I can start crashing because of the T. It is possible that my focus on T makes it louder but sometimes it seems to increase out of nowhere.

I have unmaskable T and 99% of the time maskers make it worse. After about the 5th crash from tinnitus in the past 6 months I am getting really pissed off now. I am very angry and exhausted. I have had T for years but the last 3 years have been an up and down struggle.

If my T was maskable or not noticable in everyday situations I would be fine. Since it isn't, I feel like there is no escape. I am not distraught all the time, however. It depends on how my brain is handling it at the time as well as the loudness of the tinnitus.

I would like to take something that will help with the depression and anti-obsessional thinking of tinnitus, yet that won't numb me out, take away my drive, make me sleepy all the time, or raise blood sugar levels.

Remeron was an okay drug but it increased my tinnitus in a very weird way. SNRI's are an absolute no go for me. Things I have never tried are anti-psychotics, Trazadone, Welbutrin on a long term basis, Nefazadone or Tricyclics or some anti-convulsants such as Neurontin or Topamax.

If I have to I guess I could take an SSRI (hope they won't screw me up like the past) but would like one with the least emotional numbing. I still like and want to take Lamictal.

What do you all think I should suggest to the doctor?

By the way, I have 2 types of tinnitus. One type comes from otoxic drugs and the other from noise trauma.

2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I do not know any answer for your question since you said Remeron made your tinnitus worse. But can I ask did it make it worse permanently?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      No it did not make it worse permanantly. After I stopped it went back to normal

• Like Like x 1