Nerve Cells Warn Brain of Damage to the Inner Ear

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Beowulf Agat, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Beowulf Agat
      Creative

Beowulf Agat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      http://neurosciencenews.com/inner-ear-neuron-damage-3033/

"Some nerve cells in the inner ear can signal tissue damage in a way similar to pain-sensing nerve cells in the body, according to new research from Johns Hopkins. If the finding, discovered in rats, is confirmed in humans, it may lead to new insights into hyperacusis, an increased sensitivity to loud noises that can lead to severe and long-lasting ear pain."

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      yeah megaman

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I posted about this in the retigabine thread some days ago because in this research they used retigabine:

Abstract
      In the mammalian cochlea, acoustic information is carried to the brain by the predominant (95%) large-diameter, myelinated type I afferents, each of which is postsynaptic to a single inner hair cell. The remaining thin, unmyelinated type II afferents extend hundreds of microns along the cochlear duct to contact many outer hair cells. Despite this extensive arbor, type II afferents are weakly activated by outer hair cell transmitter release and are insensitive to sound. Intriguingly, type II afferents remain intact in damaged regions of the cochlea. Here, we show that type II afferents are activated when outer hair cells are damaged. This response depends on both ionotropic (P2X) and metabotropic (P2Y) purinergic receptors, binding ATP released from nearby supporting cells in response to hair cell damage. Selective activation of P2Y receptors increased type II afferent excitability by the closure of KCNQ-type potassium channels, a potential mechanism for the painful hypersensitivity (that we term “noxacusis” to distinguish from hyperacusis without pain) that can accompany hearing loss. Exposure to the KCNQ channel activator retigabine suppressed the type II fiber’s response to hair cell damage. Type II afferents may be the cochlea’s nociceptors, prompting avoidance of further damage to the irreparable inner ear.

Link:
      http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/11/05/1515228112

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It really does seem retigabine should be taken early in he T onset. Many recent papers seem to suggest so.

5. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.

So why the shit did my Hyperacusis increase by about 50% during my Trobalt trial???!!!

Sigh! Zimichael

6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Preslys got his T in May 2014 and started to take Trobalt I think around July or August this year....and ended up with a complete cure. How long is early on to T onset?

7. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wondered the same thing.

8. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes Presley got rid of t. with trobalt 1.5 year after onset. Many others did not have that result of trobalt using, even 6 months or less after onset.
      So conclusion is that type (mechanism) of individual's t is most important for trobalt results, more than moment of using it.

Did u also get H after using trobalt as Zimichael did? :S

9. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, I've never tried Trobalt. I was referring to Zimichael's experience.

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I don't think anyone knows this. For steroids it is a matter of hours. For AM-101, 3 months. Different target organs, different responses.

But it is not too crazy to believe it is better to act as earliest as possible, as per any other treatable medical condition.

For trobalt I guess it would be too late if the potassium channels are destroyed/no longer there. Malfunctioning nerve cells may or may not take a long time to die off, until then Trobalt might be of value.