NeuroVR Device: Neurofeedback to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Christiaan, Mar 20, 2022.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Hi @Kam75, thanks for sharing this info. It's unfortunate that depression is considered an obstacle for getting a treatment for tinnitus. It seems that a lot of doctors work with this protocol. Dr. De Ridder told me the same thing as well (for the HD-tPNS + Ketamine trial).

I hope you'll gain access to this experimental treatment. Don't forget to share with us your experience with the VR device. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      As I said before, of course I will share my feelings about the VR sessions, if hopefully I am accepted to follow the protocol ;)

I've been on Tinnitus Talk for nearly 3 years now, and I've pretty much always shared my experience of what I've tried to do regarding my tinnitus.

It is essential to stay informed to give each other hope.

• Like Like x 2
    3. koffee_monster
      Sleepy

koffee_monster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure or Ototoxicity
      I believe depression is an obstacle for most treatments, especially if they involve brain functions or psychological plasticity. There's a wide range of "side-effects" that may affect the improvement a subject can receive from treatment.

E.g.: Telling someone a placebo pill is actually cyanide, and then making them eat it (ignoring the obvious unethical aspect of this experiment) will most likely result in them feeling very ill and passing out within a few minutes.

This is because the mind is a very powerful part of the human body and can actually suppress the effects of effective treatment or amplify the feeling of negative effects, making the subject believe they are not improving at all. This is often the case when a patient is convinced the treatment cannot help them before they start it because of misinformation or irrational fear.

This type of negative thinking is more prevalent in people with depression, although a noticeable portion of people with depression do not show this negative thinking and are actually trying their hardest to have a positive, proactive outlook on the future. So the negative thinking generalization is not always justifiable as an argument to deny a patient treatment.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for filling in the blanks about depression being an obstacle in clinical settings, @koffee_monster. I deeply appreciate that you've written this lengthy explanation and it certainly shows that you are an expert in this field of research.

I also agree with your last paragraph. In addition to your point, it's unfortunately often the case that health care professionals generally tend to see depression as a separate matter from tinnitus, or even the primary cause of one's emotional state, that needs to be dealt with, while it's often the outcome of suffering from tinnitus. But I'm hopeful that more and more people in this field of research understand that a paradigm shift is needed to stave off psychotherapy as the main focus for tinnitus treatment and prioritise resources toward bio-medical & pharmacological solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Can you please ask if this treatment can be done online? If you buy it, can these sessions be done through guided protocol?

7. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      It is not a device that you buy, the virtual reality sessions take place in the hospital.

And the great thing is that the sessions will be fully covered by social welfare.

This means I won't lose any more money if it doesn't work out.

• Like Like x 1
    8. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Similar for me. There is a biochemical thing involved in sleep that mediates tinnitus which I wish could be bottled and sold.

9. Fields
      Busy

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Thanks for sharing, @Christiaan.

I'm based in the Netherlands, too. So I'll keep an eye out for the next trial.

They're running with the following catchphrase on their LinkedIn page: "Play the Tinnitus Away!"

I'm curious to learn what sort of 'game' they're developing around their treatment. Beat Saber meets Tinnitus?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Fields, well, I guess we'll learn soon enough if we can play as a Jedi Knight (or as a Sith Lord if you are naughty by nature) and unleash the Force on our tinnitus ;)

Anyway, I have just noticed that NeuroVR has launched a new website. You can check it out and sign up to their newsletter & upcoming trial. Here's the link:

https://neurovr.com

Capture d’écran 2022-04-29 à 20.53.18.png