New and Need Some Guidance Please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Inkygrandma, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Inkygrandma

Inkygrandma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am a 55 yr old female from MA. My tinnitus started mild around Springtime and didn’t notice it to be constant. Was noticeable upon waking.

About six weeks ago I noticed it constant. Went to Doctor who put me on antibiotic and Flonase to clear up sinus infection.

Still have tinnitus, it’s constant, very high pitch, very hard to mask, getting louder and have dull aches at times in ears. Some sharp aches from ear to jaw and headaches.

I have an ENT appointment on December 6th. What tests do I avoid and what ones should I ask for?

I’ve been reading a lot of negative regarding testing and ENTs so now I am nervous about the appointment. Should I see audiologist instead?

I am sorry we are all here but glad I found you.

Thank you for reading!

Lesa

2. Peaches

Peaches Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear issues
      Mine started in Sept out of no where. I think it was caused by stress. I went to an ENT. I went for normal hearing test and a brain revoking test. Both just showed hearing loss. I only have the tinnitus in my right ear. Almost always a constant humming sound. I've always had a problem with my right ear from past ear infections. ENT said it caused a thickening of my inner ear. I go back in Dec.

I don't know what if anything can be done as you'll read there's nothing you can do for it. I am taking lipo-flavonoid which ENT recommended. I haven't had any other test. She said something about an MRI if l decide to get a hearing aid.

I do get headaches but could be from my degenerative disc disease in my neck. All this is connected.

3. ericdking1010

ericdking1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (Dentist? Medication? Stress?)
      Hi Lesa!

Sorry to hear this is bothering you. It's important to know that while some people have issues after going through tests on their ears, others do not. I had a full-scope test with an audiologist, and came out of it with no worsening of my conditions.

Personally, it's up to you to weigh if taking the test is worth the minor risk. Personally, if getting those tests done is something you want, you should do it. If nothing else, it will give you an answer. Even if tests come back as "oh your hearing is normal for your age, we don't know what's causing your tinnitus" I found that answer better than not taking that risk.

Many people I know, including my boss and coworker, both in their 60s, have tinnitus, and have tuned it out over the years. One had one come up randomly, and the other got hers by constantly riding a motorcycle. Regardless of the actions you take, keep strong. Keep positive.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      ENT's and audiologist are both a problem, they only test for hearing loss within the human voice range in a silence background.

You can have hearing damage and they won't detect it. that's why everyone here doesn't like them.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Very possible that your bite is off as a sinus problem will activate muscles in the jaw if the bite is off.
      Talk to your dentist and if bite is off or any signs of teeth clenching then a mouth guard will help.