New Here; Lots Sounds: Tinnitus Worse or Better with Geographic Location?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa981, Aug 1, 2015.

?

Have you noticed your tinnitus get better or worse depending on your geographic location?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I don't know - never thought about it.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
    1. Lisa981

Lisa981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know. :-(
      Hi, I just found Tinnitus Talk after googling tinnitus tonight. I've had intermittent tinnitus since I was 8 or 9. Always a high pitched whine that went away. Between 2005 and 2007, I noticed I was hearing a soft sound almost all the time, but it was masked by living in a busy area of town. As recently as a year and a half ago, after moving from SA, TX to middle Georgia, I started hearing 3-5 distinctly different pitches, some high, some mid range, and simultaneously and in both ears, though slightly different in each ear. In the past 6 mos, I've experienced fluttering in my left ear, clicking, and tonight a low frequency hum in my left ear I've never heard before that sent me in search of answers.

I can thankfully tune everything out during the day, but at night when it's quiet, I hear it constantly. Its strange, but I feel like it kind of keeps me company (weird, huh?)

Curiously, I went to Vegas for the first time in April this year. In my hotel room at the Luxor, I noticed I had absolutely no tinnitus at all, but as soon as I got home, I could hear it again.

Has anyone else noticed that your tinnitus goes away uncertain geographical locations? Are there any studies related to geographical areas or humidity or other unusual correlations? My conspiracy theory infatuated brain wonders if there is a link between tinnitus and all the electronic clutter bouncing around from satellites, cell towers, radio waves, etc. I just keep asking myself why I didn't have it in Vegas and why it's worse in GA than it was in TX.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Lisa981,

I wonder about that, as well. What could be affecting your tinnitus is the difference in barometric pressure between Texas and Georgia. I live in Georgia, too, and there is a lot more humidity here than there is in Texas. The same is true of the Las Vegas area. That can have a profound effect on some of us.

Another thing that could have happened is that, when you went on vacation, you were distracted by being in a new place and having so many activities going on. I've noticed that when I've been on vacation, my tinnitus has seemed less bothersome. That might have been what happened to you, too.

I think I've heard others mention that same thing, about being on vacation.

I'll be interested to see what the final results of your poll are.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. a/d/s

a/d/s Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hotels are built a certain way where I don’t hear my tinnitus staying in a hotel (in the same geographic location as where I live).

Otherwise yes, geographic location makes a difference in my tinnitus.

4. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      The barometric pressure can worsen your tinnitus symptoms, especially if you live in the Midwest region of the United States. Keep an eye on spikes when the pressure increases, or during storming weather.