New Member: Suffering for the Past Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Support' started by gesundheit, May 9, 2017.

1. gesundheit

gesundheit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi guys,

Joining after reading this forum non-stop.

I was diagnosed with TMJD in March after suspecting it was the case since last December. The TMJD symptoms are staying consistent on the left TMJ with clicking. The dentists did CT scan and found initial stages of arthritis on both the condyles which means my bruxism has been going on for many years unbeknownst to me. Had no symptoms except sore jaw once or twice before :(

Two weeks ago my left ear started ringing and hasn't stopped since. It is a single continuous tone. It is driving me despondent and getting cross with kids which upsets me even more.

I was wondering that since my tinnitus is relatively new, I would have a better chance of recovery.

I will hopefully get an appointment with the ENT this week. Going to meet the dentists again to get a new mouthguard (which will only protect against tooth damage).

What plan of action would you recommend? I am still learning but you guys are the experts here as I am still a new sufferer.

2. led1317
      Curious

led1317 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impact to ear
      Well hopefully the ENT and dentist will have some better answers . As far as some of the side effects caused by T like anxiety, frustration etc. I would talk to your doctor about a possible antidepressant it really helped me forget about the T and and how bothersome it can be at time. Hopefully your ENT will have some answers !

Best of luck

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gesundheit

gesundheit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Thank you. The dentists I go to focus on orofacial pain but want to take a veryconservative approach. So far they have only given me muscle relaxant at night and 400mg ibuprofen per day. My tinnitus appeared after I started taking ibuprofen regularly.

I asked an ENT acquaintance who said NSAIDs like Ibuprofen are not ototoxic but can make tinnitus worse so I stopped taking them. The pain in my TMJ has gotten a little worse after I stopped taking Ibuprofen. I will conduct more cold therapy to counteract the absence of anti-inflammatories.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gesundheit

gesundheit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Came back from ENT visit. He saw a lot of earwax in one ear but just a little in the TMJ affected side. He got all of the wax out with suction. Its been almost 3 hours since then and the Tinnitus is the same as before. So I am feeling bummed. I was hoping that would fix the Tinnitus. :(

I was hoping that since my T onset has only been around 3 weeks, removing the earwax would solve the problem. But it hasn't :(

I feel my neck popping cracking when I move it around but no pain. Now I am thinking if maybe I should go see a chiro. My dentist seems to be very averse to chiros and told me not to let the chiros work on my neck and head as they me exacerbate the situation by one bad move.

I will mention the dizziness I feel which only last an hour or so. Hopefully it is not a sign of something worse in the brain.