New Pulsatile Tinnitus in One Ear. Like Someone Is Blowing Into My Ear...

Discussion in 'Support' started by stab, Dec 3, 2014.

1. stab

stab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I've had pulsatile tinnitus for years now, but that has a pretty low volume and was diagnosed as an innocent venous hum. Finally I could accept it and stop worrying about it.

Now, sinds 3-4 months I have a new problem. It started with constant daily headaches (in forehead), post nasal drip (mucus in the back of throat when swallowing) and, you guessed it, pulsatile tinnitus.

The doctors have no idea anymore what I have. Went to the GP for like 6-7 times now and I've even was given anti-biotics (didn't help). They all seem to think it is an imflammation of my sinussus which causes light swellings and irritation. Hence the mucus production, headaches and possibly even the tinnitus.

I have a blood test scheduled for next week to test for allergies. But I have few hope for that, since I don't have classic allergy symptoms, nor ever had, plus I've used anti-histamines for 6 weeks already to combat it. No effect. The only thing that has helped for minimizing the headaches is a stereoid nosespray to promote mucus drainage.

The tinnitus persists however. I can best describe it as someone blowing into my ear on the exact rhythm of my heart beat. It is very audible at night, at times even very loud. When I wake up in the morning it is almost gone... Also, when I clog my ear with my finger it becomes almost inaudible...
      My ears have been cleaned and there is no fluid behind the eardrum. That is what is done / checked.

Could all my new symptoms be related? Everywhere I read that pulsatile tinnitus on 1 ear could be signs of something bad like aneurysms or tumors... My GP's say I don't have to worry about that as I have none of their symptoms and tumors don't cause mucus production or post nasal drip.

But still, I'm kinda worried so I wanted to ask you guys your experiences with this. Anyone had anything that resembles this? Or any medical advice or idea about what this all might be?

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Stab,

I have pulsatile tinnitus (and regular tinnitus) in one ear only, too. There are many possible causes for PT, most of which are not dangerous or life-threatening, but if you are concerned, it might be wise to visit another type of doctor other than a GP. My suggestion would be a neurologist or neurotologist, or even an ENT, if he or she is knowledgeable about PT. I should tell you, though, that many ENT's are not, and don't really want to deal with pulsatile tinnitus patients. My ENT referred me to a neurotologist, who first gave me a course of steroids and nasal spray, and then ordered a CT scan of the temporal bone. Other scans that might shed some light on your condition would be an MRI/MRA or MRV, and possibly a doppler of the carotid arteries.

I know how horrible and life-changing PT can be, because I've been suffering through it for four years now. For me, a cause has not been found, but at least my doctors have ruled out dangerous conditions.

I'd like to hear back from you if/when you decide to try another doctor, to see what they have to say about your condition. Good luck, and please do keep me posted!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stab

stab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Thanks Karen. I have heard from you before in another topic from a while ago when I posted about my 'original' tinnitus :)

I feel bad that your cause has not been found and that you have to live with this shit. From the other hand, it is good to know that there is nothing serious behind it. That should be a big relieve.

My new pulsatile tinnitus is probably related to a new illness I acquired 4 months ago which leave me with headache, post nasal drip and presumeably tinnitus. It's just never 100% sure and that leaves me worried.

If my headache doesn't pass in a couple of days I will get a bloodtest done to see if there is any infection or allergy which might be causing my symptoms.

Will update if they find anything related to the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Lindagb

Lindagb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Headache and pt could be symptoms of iih but the sinus symptoms lead me to believe thats not your case if they are related. A cold or infection can cause pt and it goes away after the other problems do when it is the cause of the pt. There are so many things it could be. Ask a dr to listen behind your ear for a bruit. Simple test but if nothing is heard the chances are good that's its nothing worrisome.