New Symptom: Loud Tapping, Like Someone Testing a Microphone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise77, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Louise77

Louise77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones? Don't know....
      So on top of the 3 months of high pitched ringing/tone, for the last few nights when trying to sleep I've had a few occasions of LOUD tapping, exactly like someone tapping into a microphone to test if it is on. At first I thought it was coming from my headphones or sound unit, but it has now happened with nothing attached to my ears and I am very worried, Has anyone else experienced this? It goes TAP-TAP-TAP about 5 or 6 times then stops, happens a few times a night especially when I am very tired.
      So far has not happened during the day or when I am upright.
      This is scaring me as I am sure each time it has happened, the ringing component of the tinnitus has gotten louder and stayed louder.
      The tapping/microphone noise is much much louder than the constant ringing/tone, but so far has always gone away after 5 or 6 taps, it really is the most awful, scary and odd sensation. Almost like a piece of loud electrical equipment trying to come back on with a faulty connection. Have shot up out of bed when it happens as it is so loud and frightening.

Very scared.
      L

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sounds very like middle ear muscle spasm. Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome they call it. Use that search term anyway and you may see others describing similar experiences. This may help. You probably need a good, up-to-date Audiologist. Many ENTs (inexcusably) don't even know about this yet. You could always look up the website of Dineen Westcott in Australia too. They do a lot of work in this area, and they have some good material on their site.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Cassie Thompson

Cassie Thompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/27/15
      I've been having this as well. My Dr thinks mine started from my TMJ. I clench and grind my teeth at night. Right now I'm on muscle relaxer and have been going to chirorpactor, also getting a mouth guard made.