New to Forum, Tinnitus Since 2008

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Emgone, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Emgone

Emgone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss-related
      Just saying hi. What a nice community here, I love the idea of strength in numbers.

I developed sudden tinnitus in my right ear when I was 28 while at work, got major vertigo and had to stay home for a week before getting used to it. My tinnitus has remained relatively the same since, with only one instance about 3 years ago where it felt like the pitch changed (vertigo again, only 2 days this time to recoup.) I was misdiagnosed by a lame ENT initially who said I had a torn ear drum (not the case) and I didn't think to research more. I learned my lesson.

Now I have a great ENT and audiologist, and have been wearing one hearing aid in my right ear since March (hello, stereo sound!) My tinnitus is related to hearing loss in my right ear from prolonged exposure to loud sounds (I was in a band for 9 years, never wore ear protection - again lesson learned.) I'm experimenting with using the tinnitus therapy setting on the hearing aid, but am so grateful to have no physical pain, and have habituated pretty well to the constant noise. I try to stay positive and accepting of the situation, am learning to meditate for stress relief, and focus on protecting my hearing from further damage. I also get on the wear-earplugs soapbox quite often. It may be obnoxious to some, but I'm a 35-year-old gal with a hearing aid already, so I feel I have some clout here. Don't be a fool like me, kids, your hearing is precious.

Ok, I'll stop jabbering now! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Hi and welcome. Looks like we developed tinnitus around the same time.

Like you, and many, I developed T from not protecting my hearing on too many loud nights out. Someone needs to get the message out there to youngsters before the damage is done.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emgone

Emgone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss-related
      It does need to be 'someone' because few seem to listen to me! Although I shouldn't be surprised, they can't get people to stop texting and driving no matter how many mangled cars they show on tv so....:dunno:

4. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It's a crazy world.