New to Forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Linda haslinger, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Linda haslinger

Linda haslinger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I am new to your group and would like to introduce myself and tell you my history. I have had mild tinnitus since my youth, I am 60 yrs old. 7 yrs ago, I had an unset of extremely loud intrusive tinnitus with no significant triggers.

I had all the tests, exams etc., and drs concluded my T was idiopathic tinnitus. Desperately to rid of it, I gave up salt, ate healthy and walked daily. My severe T did subside but i'm not certain just how long after.

I don't think I just adapted to my T, rather it let up much, I still carried on with low tolerable T. With that said, I have had a couple flare ups when my T again has become intrusive, bothersome and I become anxious. But it always improves at some point. To be honest, it's almost as if I forget the crisis state I am in with T, once it improves. Does that ever happen to any of you? I can't ever really recall a significant trigger, or when it got better. I just realize, hey my T is better. Then when it strikes again, it's like the FIRST attack.

Anyways, this past month I truly have been under great stress, training for new receptionist job, tons of training, tests, etc. I worked the past year at a school with delinquent teens, just quit last week. Worked there days, trained for new job nights, plus all the tests between. Anyways, my first night working alone as a receptionist in a nursing home, my ear started ringing loudly while one of the residents was rattling off some no sense story to me, I tried to appear caring, I am a caring person, but paniced.

My ear buzzing so loudly and trapped at a new job. Then after, I had to assist in a fire drill, holy cow, what an ordeal! I was so fearful it would be loud, but it was not thank God, but stressful still. Sadly, I had a HUGE T flare the next day, and still in it. I also had the flu shot for the first time ever, but the tinnitus did not start until 5 days after I received the vaccine. But I was very nervous getting it the week before.

It certainly seems possible that all these stresses caused my T flare up right? But, I have had stress with absolutely no flare ups so go figure.

Can stress alone even cause a T flare up? Or a flu vaccine, 5 days after getting it? Much controversy over both, so who knows???? Errr, trying to figure out a trigger, drives me just as crazy as the T itself!!!! My T is worst upon waking up. Then my T goes to a baseline loud. My head hums like it does when I'm extremely overtired or sick, but I am not sick nor overtired, just very anxious!!!! As you can read, my tinnitus has taken over my thoughts with vengeance and I'm terrified and depressed. I just can't stop obsessing about it.

Well I could stop obsessing, but I am ruthlessly giving my T all the power it appears. I do have severe anxiety as well. I take no medications, just deal. I have xanax, but rarely use it. Making matters worse, I worry my T means something is serious wrong. But I have no other symptoms to support that worry. Otherwise, I'm happily married and have one wonderful daughter and Son in law and 3 lovely young grandchildren at which I adore.

I thank God for my abundance of good in my life. I live in the country in cold, snowy WNY. Any support or words of wisdom are appreciated. Thank you for reading!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Unfortunately in your current profession at a nursing care facility a flu shot is necessary. The tinnitus increased five days later so maybe it did cause a temporary spike combined with your stress. I finally stopped my hunt for the reason even though I knew what it was because I was lost to everything else.

Take deep breaths and relax. Meditation helped me somewhat in the early stages of freaking out. It is a normal reaction Linda and I hope you continue to post here and ask questions. It helps to talk with others.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda haslinger

Linda haslinger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you both for reading and your replies.