New to Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adriel93, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Can you get hyperacusis, even if you have low tinnitus? My ears feels full and loud noises has been bothering my ears. I’m hoping it goes away after the fullness goes away.

Also how long does hyperacusis usually last? I heard it’s temporary.

2. Lost life
      Alone

Lost life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo w/d noise/trauma ,stress,tmj,hearing loss
      if i were you i would not use the the ear phones they are going to make things worse and believe me it can get very very bad good luck bro

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Lost life thank you but I never said I was planning on using head phones lol

4. Lost life
      Alone

Lost life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo w/d noise/trauma ,stress,tmj,hearing loss
      i know i just saw the pic my bad

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Lost life this pic was before the T man. The good ol days smh

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      hearing loss??

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
    8. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      Hyperacusis is neither a disorder nor a disease. If by that term you mean “sound intolerance”, that is a consequence of another thing.

If you have fullness and sound intolerance, most probably you have “ttts” (tensor tympani syndrome). The “fullness” you are experiencing is probably because your supposed tensor timpanis are tensed. The tensor timpani is a tiny muscle whose tendon is in contact with the malleus, a little bone which at the same time is in contact with the tympanic membrane. So when the TTs get tensed, the tympanic membrane gets tensed too, and the three ossicles and everything over there lose their harmony. The TTs should be relaxed, but “you” develop a bad habitude of tensing them. This causes discomfort with or without strong sounds.

But when the TTs are tensed and you hear certain sounds, especially sudden and with certain texture, and more especially if the source of the sounds is near you, the discomfort increases because you feel your ears fragile, that they are going to explode or broke, or something. It is an awful sensation, isn't it? And perception of these particular sounds could be distorted, or “distorted”.

Your TTs are tensed because there is a signal originated in your brain that goes to the TTs to make them tensed. This operation is a more conscious operation that you think it is, and it is not dependent on sounds. On certain occasion, you could not feel “fullness”, and then you hear certain sudden and strong sound near you and your TTs get tensed immediately. But if this happens is because your TTs weren’t completely relaxed and the mechanism is still sensible. If the TTs are completely relaxed, and “you”/your brain completely forgets about the problem (“ttts”), I think it is impossible that the TTs get abnormally tensed (they could only get subtlety tensed), and so it is impossible to experience discomfort (of course, if the sound is too strong and near you, and the sound is repeated, it could cause the abnormal tension of the TTs, and that is precisely what happens in an acoustic shock).

So what you are now experiencing is this state of tensing all the time the TTs, a cumulative process of tensing and relaxing them continually. It is like a vicious circle.

The main motor of the tension is your consciousness about the problem. So you have to try to avoid that your TTs get tensed, try to control that. But the best way to do it is to forget about the problem. Basically you have to gradually get better and gradually forget about the problem.

Stress in general is not a cause. The problem is only specific. Certain emotions or thoughts could tense the TT system, like anger or obsessed thinking. But this depends on the person. Of course, I am talking when this habitude is installed, this doesn’t happen in a person with healthy ears. If you realize there are certain emotions or attitudes that tense the TTs, try to avoid them. It is not by chance that depression, OCD, and other psychologic disorders are regularly found in people with “hyperacusis”.

Another important thing to note is that apparently the TTs have slow-tonic fibers, and this would explain why, after they get tensed, it takes them some time to relax, which is really a downer. Because this make you more conscious about the problem, and so it could extend the period of tension even more. So you have to take a conscious and rigorous decision to quit the attention from the discomfort, and keep your mind busy with more interesting things than a muscle tensed in your middle ear.

It is okay, when your TTs are tensed and there are bothersome sounds, that you use earplugs, if you feel like it. You could use musician earplugs, which are easy to put in, and then take them out after some seconds, or minutes. Or cover with your hands. An earplug could be consider a temporary TT relaxer. I think you should avoid sounds that you feel are too strong for your ears, if they are repeated. How much is “too strong”? Well, only you know, you will learn. Be careful but not afraid.

Sound enrichment? If your TT mechanism is tensed, and you are at home watching a movie and it feels uncomfortable, you could play back simultaneously some broadband noise or rain sounds, or run water in the bathroom, whatever you feel relaxing. This reduces the contrast between the voices of the actors, for example, and the background noise. It is a possible temporary tool. But the ideal solution would be that you stop tensing the bloody TTs and you forget about all this.

P.S. There are other subtleties but I think my post was too long and boring already. You won’t find this subject covered in this way in any medical article. Most articles are abstract or surrealist tales. This doesn’t mean my description doesn’t have some inaccuracies. Also, apparently there are no doctors or audiologists who understand about this in Planet Earth. You don’t need them. Understand the problem and recover yourself.

• Useful Useful x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. fisher

fisher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wonderful! I suffer from this problem for many years and you response made me see the light!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Yashin wow, this makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for taking the time off to post on here. I’m guessing you went through this too?

11. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      I don’t know your case, but I read some anecdotes of people who had this kind of problem for many years, and then began to think about it differently, and they recovered in some days or weeks. Whether in one month or two years, I don’t know, but I am sure you can get better. Best.

12. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      Yes, I did go through this, or else I couldn’t write a single word of my previous post.

How did this fullness you mention begin? Gradually o suddenly? Do you relate it to exposure to loud sounds? I think I read that you have some kind of cold… do you still have this cold?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Yashin I couldn’t tell when the fullness began because I’ve had etd since I was small.

And no I haven’t exposed myself to any loud environments.

And yes I had a sinus infection and my ears felt a little fuller than the usual. Which is weird is that, as soon as I stopped taking my antihistamines and Sudafed, my ears started feeling better. My sound sensitivity has gotten a whole lot better than how it was a few days ago.

14. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      @Adriel93, I am not sure I understand.

So you have had a fullness sensation for many years, as a consequence of ETD, but without sound sensitivity. But recently, after a sinus infection, you had more (or different) fullness, plus the sound sensitivity.

Is that right? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

And when did the tinnitus appear?

And why do you have a chronic ETD? Have you found an explanation for that?

The pseudoephedrine could have stimulated your nervous system. That is possible. But it doesn’t mind if you are feeling better. Even you can ignore my questions, maybe your sensitivity will disappear soon.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Yashin yes that is correct! The fullness in my ears got worse and I was also sensitive to sounds after my sinus infection. According to my doctor I had a “sinus infection” but my ent yesterday told me it could’ve been migraines.

And I’ve had Tinnitus for a year in half. It’s super mild and I only hear it when I’m in a super quite room. Usually The ventilation mask my T.

And my ENT told me I have ETD due to allergies. And I’m getting my allergy weekly shots to treat it.

16. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      @Adriel93

Nah… Why does your ENT doctor think you had migraines?

I think I have never had a sinus infection, but didn’t you have nasal discharges or some evident symptoms which would be part of a sinus infection?