New to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mike Blundell, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Mike Blundell

Mike Blundell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all.

I've had T for the last 22 years which seems like an eternity. I came across a news article recent on the BBC website about potential advancements in the treatment of T.

After some further googling, I came across an eBook title called Tinnitus Miracle (which I instantly thought was a scam as any book with miracle in the title most likely won't be one, or any real benefit). I decided not to pay for it or even search the ether(net) for a free copy.

What I did find though was this forum and flicking through some posts brought a sense of communal resonance so I thought I'd join.

I myself have had T for a long time and as many others have said the early days are the worst. Akin up the first second and third day with this alien tone inside your head brings a wave of utter anxiety, compounded when medical diagnosis leaves all apparent doors of hope firmly under lock and key.

As many of you have said, it does ease over time. One tries everything, turn to decaf coffee, no chocolate after 7pm, only eat cheese on a Thursday.

Early on I played music in bed much to the annoyance of my girlfriends as it was the only way I could sleep. Gradually though, I weened myself off this.

I firmly believe that stress us the biggest contributor to T. I have been on a spiritual journey over the last 12 months and gave taken up yoga, meditation and more recently reiki.

Obviously these are not cures, but I have changed the way in which I look at things in life, focusing on all things positive and try to push all negativity aside.

I was a little apprehensive when starting up such meditation techniques, as I thought that it would make my tinnitus worse. Far from it. It gave me the ability to focus on so many other thing whilst staying calm. As a result my tinnitus want unnoticed for a long time.

That said (reason why I'm here I guess), is that my T is quite bad at the moment due to work and family pressures diminishing the time spent on my new age techniques. Starting tomorrow I'll pick up where I left it in August.

So in a rather long winded way, I would recommend yoga, meditation and reiki to fellow T sufferers, it has really helped me on my journey towards finding out whether the answer to the ultimate question is 42, but more importantly it has put my T quite literally to the back of my mind.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hello Mike, welcome to the forum.

3. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan, just need to get back into it. I have taken classes and studied reiki, I often forget to use it for myself. Seems like life gets in the way of taking care of ourselves sometimes. Find that time for yourself again, especially when it helps the T.

4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Welcome! So glad to hear reiki is workings for you - I have my first session in a few days :)

5. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      It is important to develop a lifestyle you can sustain and will result in less overall stress - that way you getting control over the tinnitus. It comes from your brain so you have to teach your brain to do what you want it to do

• Like Like x 1
    6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Welcome aboard Mike. Looking forward to reading more of your posts...