New to This Site

Mand b

Author
Aug 5, 2012
Tinnitus Since
11/10
Hi everyone I'm Amanda and I'm new to this site. I am a tinnitus sufferer and I'm 23 years old. I have had tinnitus for 2 years but it's only became an issue in pregnancy and even worse since having my baby, it's more of a head sound. I'm currently having TRT and I wear a WNG daily. Still struggling on a day to day basis, just hoping the tinnitus calms down or at least returns back to how it was before pregnancy. It would be nice to hear of anyone else's stories :)

Hi, Amanda, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk!

I'm sorry you're having problems with tinnitus worsening after pregnancy. You're doing the right things by going for tinnitus retraining therapy and wearing the device. Those are positive steps in the right direction! Hard to believe, but over time, tinnitus really does improve, especially if you have a positive attitude and don't spend too much time thinking about it. Easier said than done, that's for sure, but most of us who have had tinnitus for awhile find that to be true.

My daughter, who is 32, had her first baby almost 10 months ago, and the tinnitus started for her during pregnancy, too. It still continues, but so far, has not gotten any worse. Please remember that your body has gone through many changes, both during and after pregnancy, and that after your hormones "calm down", your tinnitus may calm down, too.

Are you still nursing your child? It could be that after your child gets older and is weaned, you may notice a difference in your tinnitus.

How would you describe your tinnitus? You mentioned that it seems like "head noise". Do you have a pulsating sound in your head, like I do? I have both ringing and pulsating -- I, too, had mild tinnitus, but it got much worse after I took blood pressure medicine for the first time.

Both of us may have suffered a kind of trauma that exacerbated our tinnitus. At least, that's my theory! Please keep us posted on how your TRT is going.

Hi Karen thank you for your reply and sorry about my long reply this is the only time I've been back on here since my post. Well I bottle feed my baby but I don't feel I have fully got myself back to normal since the birth. Although my docter said my hormones should be back to normal now so I'm not sure. My tinnitus varies it can b like hum or hissing sound but its mostly like a vibration sensation and I can hear it more if I move my head from side to side. I've also had a buzzing sound. It just feels like its am external loud sound that I can't escape from. Well to be honest my TRT is not going well due to the lack of interest and support from my local audiology hospital. I guess I'm just worried and scared that this will remain like this forever and that ill always feel anxious with it, it has taken over my life and I often get upset about it. How do you cope and your daughter with tinnitus? Mine fluctuates so much I dread waking up in the morning because that's when the change usually happens, once I've been to sleep. Amanda

Hi, again, Amanda,
I'm sorry you're still having problems with your tinnitus. Many of us have fluctuating tinnitus, and there seems to be a part of the day that is worse. For me, the tinnitus is worse in the late afternoon/evening. My mornings, after sleep, are the quietest.

My daughter's baby is almost 1 year old now, and her tinnitus disappeared on its own. I think it might definitely have had to do with hormones. So, there is still the possibility that yours will fade with time.

I've had severe tinnitus for 2 1/2 years now, and it was really bad when it started out --- roaring, pulsating like a drumbeat, etc. But now, it has faded and I am actually (finally!) sleeping again. I'm taking supplements that help, seeing a chiropractor that specializes in neurology, exercising regularly, and watching my diet. At first, I cut out sodium, etc., but my diet isn't as strict now. I did cut out the caffeine, and mostly drink a lot of water --- no coffee or sodas. I'm also testing a sound therapy device that seems to help me when the tinnitus is at its worst. It's probably similar to TRT.

Tinnitus does get better with time; yours may subside on its own. Please read some of the great information on this forum for other suggestions. I wish you the best, and keep in touch!!

Thanks, DezDog! It has taken me quite awhile to actually be able to sleep again. Something good is happening; my tinnitus is softer, and I am feeling better. Not quite sure why --- probably a combination of factors. I think that it takes more than one therapy to calm our tinnitus. I'm doing several things at once!

Amanda --- There really is a lot of hope for you. Tinnitus does get better with time. And, who knows, yours may go away on its own one of these days! Stay strong!

Hi Karen I can't believe its been 3 years since this post. Anyway since then I had a great 2 years with no tinnitus I literally could not hear it It just went one day and I never needed sound enrichment I could sleep in silence to although I always have low music on. It has since returned I got pregnant in June and it started up again in August and I miscarried in Sept and no tinnitus for 3 months and now its back its up and down but I am struggling all over again. How are you?x

Hi Karen I can't believe its been 3 years since this post. Anyway since then I had a great 2 years with no tinnitus I literally could not hear it It just went one day and I never needed sound enrichment I could sleep in silence to although I always have low music on. It has since returned I got pregnant in June and it started up again in August and I miscarried in Sept and no tinnitus for 3 months and now its back its up and down but I am struggling all over again. How are you?x

I am also pregnant and my tinnitus developed during pregnancy for reasons that aren't clear. Just wondering how long after delivering your baby did your tinnitus go? I know you said you had it prior to pregnancy as well but it spiked during pregnancy and again during your last pregnancy. I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage, by the way. :,(.

Hi Natalie I don't even remember my tinnitus before pregnancy because it was not an issue it was so mild and not constant. My ears were bad in pregnancy I could hardly hear and the noise was loud along with sound distortion, it would come and go not constant. I remember for 6 weeks my ears were normal before and after the birth then it flared up I was in a bad way I felt so unwell, anxious and crying a lot with loud tinnitus. It lasted 18months not all loud days though and then it just stopped randomly for 2 years where I did not hear it until I got pregnant again. I am not sure why its still persisting now although it did clear for 3 months after my miscarriage. Maybe its still hormones although would hormones still be fluctuating if i didn't carry the baby full term. How long have you had tinnitus for? And does it fluctuate in volume/sound? And thank you I have dealt with the miscarriage just the tinnitus makes it hard when I know it was caused by pregnancy. I wouldn't mind if I got my baby at the end of it all but to miscarry then suffer with tinnitus is hard x

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now