New to This!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rachael Houghton, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Rachael Houghton
      Musical

Rachael Houghton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral infection
      Hi guys. I’m totally new to blogs and forums but I’ve been suffering with this tinnitus for over a year. I’ve recently got a hearing aid as it’s really affecting my hearing. I was advised that a hearing aid might cure tinnitus for good. This occurred from a viral infection and it just never cleared. Hearing loss is also genetic in my family. Any advice and support would be so great! I struggle and get so pissed off sometimes listening to my pulse 24/7! It’s amazing to have a strong support group!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey there.

Hope you're well.

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much.

You mentioned you hear your pulse 24/7. This is called pulsatile tinnitus, and the good news is, in many cases it can be cured/alleviated. Check out the pulsatile tinnitus section of this forum (https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/support.52/)

Hope this helps.

3. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Pulsatile tinnitus is a real sound, unlike "ordinary" subjective tinnitus which is just from the brain. It could be caused by a constricted blood vessel or something near your ear. If that's what you have, it's probably unrelated to hearing loss and I wouldn't expect a hearing aid to have any impact. It may be treatable but the cause and treatments are different than subjective tinnitus.