New to this....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aaron Groover, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Aaron Groover

Aaron Groover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Recently
      Hello everyone. Not have officially been diagnosed with it yet. But 2 months ago i started getting symptoms of this. It gets worse when my anxiety flares up. Kinda scared of it. Should i be scared of it?? Is there any sort of thing that anyone does out there to help the situation?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Aaron, and welcome!

So sorry you're having tinnitus flare-ups, and anxiety along with it. Please don't be afraid of tinnitus; it is just your brain adjusting to a new condition. If you are anxious and scared, it may make your tinnitus worse.

Instead, try to be calm about it. We have many suggestions on this forum for ways to deal with tinnitus. In the early days of tinnitus, it is always at its worst. It will gradually improve (for most people) as time goes on. The best technique --- or, at least the one that has worked best for me --- is distraction. Try living your life as if you don't have any tinnitus at all, and ignore it. In time, things will get better.

In the meantime, we suggest keeping sounds in the background at all times, such as soft music or nature sounds, so that you don't come into a quiet environment. Also, be sure to practice healthy habits, such as getting enough sleep, following a good diet, etc., plus avoiding loud, noisy places such as concerts --- unless you have really good ear protection.

Others on this board will have additional suggestions for you.

Take care; you've come to right place for lots of great support and information about all things tinnitus-related! There is research being done, and trials being conducted right now, for tinnitus remedies. One of these days, there will be a breakthrough!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. lucy7

lucy7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      it's literally all in the head, just keep calm and carry on with your life, and you will eventually start realising that you've forgotten about it for periods of time. i've had it since July, and i find that when i'm busy i completely forget about it. it helps to realise as well that's there are loads of people out there with much more serious conditions, not to devalue tinnitus symptoms, particularly when they are subjective and horrible, but when you look at others who are suffering from really serious physical conditions it kinda puts it in perspective

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aaron Groover

Aaron Groover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Recently
      Would it be ok to play drums? I play to get rid of the anxiety.....

5. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yes there's something you can do to help it. Accept it probably isn't going anywhere, and keep doing the things you enjoy. Whenever it gets too bad, get up, do your hobby and just focus on that.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Karen is wise in these matters!! Listen to her good advice! You're going to be OK. It's a bit rough in the beginning, but you will prevail Aaron!! (y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Jeff M. and guys,

Do you know if Aaron can still play drums? I would say yes, as long as he has really good ear protection. Do you agree?

• Like Like x 1
    8. David Tholfsen

David Tholfsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2009
      I know a drummer with tinnitus. It seemed to be caused by fairly severe hearing loss: army and rock. When he got a hearing aid it seems like it really helped. Get your hearing checked and see where you stand.

9. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      @Karen , my opinion, it depends on if his T is trauma induced or neurological. If he has T due to damage to the inner ear and receptor "hairs", I would advise against. If his T is neurological in nature, like mine! (subjective idiopathic tinnitus), I say go for it! That's my two cents.

:rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I'd definately invest in hearing protection for playing the drums! you can research online for noise canceling earplugs that reduce db's. Research famous drummers with Tinnitus. Especially guys like Phil Collins, who was forced to retire because of music related hearing loss and Tinnitus.