A Change of Lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A change of lifestyle?

I am writing this post, in the hope that it will make some people look at their lifestyle and consider changing it, when it comes to tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise.

At another tinnitus forum that I visit, someone who is a musician and has played the drums for a number of years, has tinnitus that has recently got worse. In addition to this hypercusis is now present even though he wears noise-reducing earplugs. This person asked if there was any way of reducing his tinnitus back to baseline as he enjoys playing the drums and it is his living. He mentioned that he had cut back on the number of gigs but there hasn't been any noticeable improvement.

Although I am not a musician I am an Audiophile and get a lot of pleasure listening to my music through my audio system, so understand this man’s desire to want to continue playing music and also to earn a living from it. However, with noise induced tinnitus one has to be careful. If the condition is getting worse exposure to loud noise is the usual cause providing there is no underlying medical condition that’s responsible. Therefore, the only way to address this and to hopefully reduce the symptoms is to stop being around loud sounds. Even though noise- reducing earplugs help the best earplugs in the world are not one hundred percent safe, so one still needs to be careful.

Behind each ear there is a hard piece of bone called the mastoid bone. It is honeycombed with air pockets. If external sound is loud enough, it can pass through the mastoid bone and enter the inner ear and irritate the cochlea, which could make the tinnitus and hyperacusis (if present) louder and more intrusive.

I, and a few others advised this person to stop playing the drums completely for a while and see if the symptoms reduce. For it is likely the noisy environment that he has been around for so long has taken its toll on his ears. We felt the increase in tinnitus and now hyperacusis was a warning sign that he should stop, as things could get worse and become very distressing. This person decided not to follow our advice but instead, listened to others who were saying: we were being negative and causing scare mongering. Life is for living and he should do what he wants to do was their sage advice.

Unfortunately, this person’s tinnitus and hypercausis has increased quite a lot and he has had to stop playing the drums. He is afraid to go into bar, restaurant or any venue where music is playing or there are high sound levels and finds wearing earplugs doesn’t help. Hopefully, with treatment his symptoms will improve.

I am a positive thinking person when it comes to tinnitus, and try not to let it stop me doing whatever I want to do. However, I’m also a realist and that means not taking unnecessary risks, by constantly being exposed to loud sounds that could harm my auditory system and make my tinnitus worse. I advise people reading this post to think about this. Go out and enjoy yourself and have fun but at the same time be prudent and respect your hearing.

Michael

PS: further reading is available at:
      https://www.britannica.com/science/ear/Transmission-of-sound-by-bone-conduction

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Any struggle that affects us, can change the way we live our lives. It is up to the individual to want to make that change though. Some won't make the change because, of various reasons but they know that that change is needed. Tinnitus is a nasty/rotten thing and it totally changes how we get to listen to sound and how loud that sound might be. If I only knew this stuff from the very beginning. If I had this knowledge, then my tinnitus might have been a super soft, not very noticeable noise. Instead, due to the loud concerts, clubs, bars...now its a super LOUD monster in both ears, but that's ok. I still love my life, smile, do my martial arts, laugh and thank god for giving me such a gift.

Giving up, our passion due to tinnitus, is very difficult but it can happen......

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hi Fishbone

So did your t start off as a soft sound? How long did it take to progress to what you have now if you don't mind me asking.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My tinnitus, indeed did start off by being very low and very soft. The problem is that we were all normal before and had no internal sounds in our heads. I took for granted even the low low , barely noticeable little sound. It got worst from tons of stress, still going to loud bars, clubs and being ignorant. I will also say this, the benzos also managed to make my tinnitus much much worst.

My tinnitus started out when I had a cold/illness that I almost died from. The real damage was done from listening to LOUD music and benzos...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sam Bridge
      There you have it Sam. Fishbone has given you the cold unadulterated truth about tinnitus,when it is caused by loud noise. This is coming from years of experience and something few tinnitus books will tell you in depth. When tinnitus is mild or moderate, many people are able to habituate without too much problems. However, this does not mean it cannot get worse. Taking care of one’s hearing and keeping away from loud noise is the best way to keep safe - and my advice to those that have noise induced tinnitus is to give headphones a wide berth. I know some people with tinnitus are not affected by headphones but it's something I advise against using.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Thanks Michael. The only loud thing i do regularly is get on the tube for 10 minutes everyday. Its generally ok but it can rattle and clang for a few seconds here and there. Stopped using ear phones about a year ago.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I no longer live in London thankfully. I'm joking, born and bred there and love the city even though I now live in Brighton. The sound of the tube won't cause you any harm as that's everyday sounds, and contrary to what some people believe, I think it's good for your auditory system. You're doing all the right things Sam, I just wish I had known about tinnitus many years ago. Aaah well.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. T_Almost_Gone
      Mellow

T_Almost_Gone Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion nalextrone
      Hi @Michael Leigh thanks for all the great knowledge you posted in this forum. I have a question I've not been able to find the answer to.

My T was from 1 month of bupropion. I've been unable to have a hearing test due to covid so unable to determine if there's hearing damage.

1. Where tinnitus has been induced by antidepressant medication. Should the person take precautions like no earbuds/headphones & earplugs for bars & live music?
      2. I've read a ton of research papers to try and understand the mechanism by which the milder ototoxic medication causes T. My theory is that in the case of bupropion - the dopamine and neopropine levels are too high causing excessive neural activity around the auditory cortex and this is what what I'm hearing. But what I can't determine is where a stronger drug like quinine or a sound trauma is likely damaging the soft inner ear nerves -wheather this also happens with antidepressants damage but to a lesser extent. Disclaimer I'm not a medical person so I'm likely not using the terms accurately.
      Thanks

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @T_Almost_Gone

Thank you for your kind words.

The advice I give in this forum is just that advice and should be used as a guidance. It is not absolute as we are all different.

My advice not to use any form of headphones is for people that have Noise induced tinnitus. However, I also believe if a person has tinnitus caused by an underlying medical condition or medication not to use them either. A person with tinnitus should go out to the venues you mention if they want to but be careful of loud noise. It is up to the individual to exercise care when going to bars and where live music is played even when wearing earplugs.

I am not one for reading up on medication and whether they are ototoxic or not. This often induces fear, anxiety and negative thinking and have written about this many times in this forum. I gave up reading research papers on tinnitus many years ago. These papers are often written by medical professionals that haven't a clue about tinnitus because they have never experienced it. Those that do usually have it mild.

These medical professionals and physicians and experts in their field and know all about the ear, auditory system and brain. However, this doesn't mean they are tinnitus experts which is an different kettle of fish.

Take care
      Michael

10. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I too had to stop drumming. I also kept playing a few years ago because people elsewhere told me not to let tinnitus rule my life and that one should resume life as if they had never heard of tinnitus. That things like wearing headphones and playing musical instruments would not make tinnitus worse. It was our distorted thinking, fears and psychological response that caused this. That I was in tinnitus prison and tinnitus was our jailer. I read all kinds of opinions on the internet.

As @Michael Leigh states it is different for everyone. And we are for the most part getting advice from laymen who share what has helped and worked for them.

There are those that habituate and can probably resume activities but I don't think it's everyone.

I am considering giving meds a try...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. T_Almost_Gone
      Mellow

T_Almost_Gone Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion nalextrone
      Hi @Michael Leigh

Thanks for the response and points all noted Re. taking care of ears irrespective of how the T was caused. And on the research papers lol I've read some really innacurate ones. Wishing everyone the best of luck here - may we all find some level of peace.

• Friendly Friendly x 2