New to tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mark Law, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mark Law

Mark Law Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I have just developed tinnitus recently, about 6 weeks ago and am quite overwhelmed by it. It is ok in the day time if I am outside but, if I am inside and it is quiet, well, I guess anyone reading here knows what that is like. Sleeping late, a thing of the past, I miss it terribly. I want to learn as much as I can about controlling / minimising, dare I hope for, curing it. I found this forum when searching for reviews on the Tinnitus Miracle book and didn't buy it. If anyone can help point me in the direction of good resources to read and learn from I would appreciate it very much.

I had a hearing test done and I have hearing loss in the 4000 Hz range which I believe is typical. I have been going to a Chinese doc for accupuncture once a week for 3 weeks now and it has not made a difference. Has anyone had any success with accupuncture?

I can't bare the idea that there will be no quietness in my life anymore, that's what really gets me down if I allow myself to think about it.

2. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      hey.
      your right a better understanding is the first step to coping. it was my turning point and thanks to member karl for directing me to TRT tinnitus retraining therapy by jasterboff and hazel, it's a lot of medical mumbo jumbo but it easy to understand. it's a good read. I've been since n0v. 2012 and I still have my days but it's better or rather I'm coping better. no miracle cures stay away from snake oil sales persons.
      good luck in your journey to a little peace and a little quiet, it will happen.
      danny

3. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Mark
      Welcome to the group (great bunch of folks here, I just joined last week). I got hit with T in the profound range last year and really struggled (for the past year); however, I'm doing great now. As a matter of fact, my T is screaming right now and I simply can't bring myself to react it (could care less) and I will sleep very well tonight (I swam at the gym and I'm worn out). Nonetheless, it took a long time to get to this place (attitude/emotions/spirit); you will get there. By no means am I some special (or super) person; but I made it.

Danny is right, TRT is a great way to learn real coping skills; I was fitted with some state-of-the-art hearing aids with programmable white noise generators targeted at my specific tinnitus -- they were a God send (sweet sleep at night!).
      However, to cite (and agree with) Danny again; you will need to 'major in the majors'; meaning, learn how to cope and retrain your brain to deal with it -- that's the big win!

Again, welcome to the group (even if you didn't want to find yourself in a group like this - he, he). I wished I'd joined a group like this early on, my journey to 'cope-land' would have been much better!

Mark:welcomesignanimation:

• Like Like x 1